• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What time do you get to work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 or 10 minutes after I get out of bed usually...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
      Anywhere between 8 (if I cant sleep) and 10 (if I had a hard night ) but the average is between 9 and 9.30. I prefer to miss the traffic and not be stressed out with sitting in a traffic queue by the time I get to work.

Agreed, the traffic between the bedroom, bathroom and office can be murder before 9.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        touchy tetchy
        Yep, I have a friend who used to quote this starting time bollucks at me.

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

You are obviously not in a customer focussed job, so either you are a public sector worker or you are back office connon fodder
        I work for consumer manufacturing companies. That is, I write software that goes into an electronic box that peeps buy in shops. There is, of course, a parallel team developing the electronics in the box. Normal timescale is 9-15 months from, start of implementation to boxes in the shop (so all the market assessment stuff comes before that).

My customer is the SI (system integration) department (which may actually be me - and yes I know that's not ideal). As long as my bit arrives at the same time as everybody elses (and conforms to all the changes in the spec that have been agreed in meetings and circulated in documents) and I fix bugs that are discovered in a timely fashion, then the hours that I do in my 'normal' work to achieve this are totally irrelevent to anybody else. Obviously, I have to attend said meetings but they don't dictate my normal start time.

Obviously, building security has some input into the hours that I work, but most places cope with staff working say: 7:00-20:00 (historically the factory would have been on the same site, but that has all changed now).

I really do find it surprising that managers think that they can get the best out of staff doing a 'creative' task (and yes it is creative) by insisting that they work hours that don't suit them.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
          Agreed, the traffic between the bedroom, bathroom and office can be murder before 9.
          When I work at home I try to start by 8am. Then I can finish by 4pm and have some of the day left to do something constructive*.

I try to get on site by 9.30-10, though that's mostly dictated by avoiding the worst of the traffic.

*Often this inolves reading the paper in the pub for an hour.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I normally start at 07:15 in the morning.

However, there can be "panties on the landing" which can delay my journey to the office, or "the wrong type of Smirnoff Ice bottles" which require a mandatory stop to the lavatory.

In the end a trip to the kitchen for a full slap up "coffee with frothy milk" and a "slice of bacon with ketchup between homemade bread in the toaster" for about 10p before laughing at the traffic reports on LBC seem to fly by as I'm working by 07:15...
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
              before laughing at the traffic reports on LBC seem to fly by
              There's something really satisfying about listening to traffic reports whilst you're working at home.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

M25 Jn 9 clockwise, M25 Jn26 anti-clockwise... a lorry and a red Nova...

Every day.

I did it for years...never again. And never again the tube... yuuuuuchhh...
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                X