• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does having your CV on a job board give you an advantage or..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does having your CV on a job board give you an advantage or..

does it just mean I will be inundated with agents fishing for references?

I haven't put my CV on sites such as Jobserve as yet mainly because I fear agents phoning me up and wasting my time looking for references, line manager names etc.

For those of you that do have your CV on a job board, what has been your experience been like?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

I'm getting quite a few calls at the moment through Jobsite - nothing fishing for references from the contacts I've had.

You can always say no to them if you think they are fishing or don't really have a job that you want.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I do and I don't.

If I can be arsed to keep it updated I will (i.e. if the site is half decent and easy to use).

Most of the time its there to ake apps quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        I do and I don't.

If I can be arsed to keep it updated I will (i.e. if the site is half decent and easy to use).

Most of the time its there to ake apps quicker.
        You can also get them to email you with suitable vacancies - though you have to really define the type of job you're after otherwise it does get tiresome wading through all the possibles.
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Unfortunately the agency fishing is something you just have to put up with. tbh I haven't noticed it being any better or worse by having my CV online somewhere. I think the most important thing to to make sure it is very clear you are after contracts only otherwise you end up getting most calls about perm roles.

Comment

I have mine up there. I don't really get any fishing calls, most of the calls are for permanent jobs.

I find it useful though as every time I get a half decent sounding agent calling about a contract, I get them to email me their contact details. This means as a contract gets close to it's end you can call them all up to to see what they have, plus it keeps your name in their heads as they contracts in.
            http://www.bluejumper.com

Comment

I've used Jobserve the last couple of times around and set it so that my permission is required before the agent can see all my details. I've found it works quite well as the agent has to make an effort to contact you so less likely to be fishing.

Remember to deactivate when you have a new contract though.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Thanks everyone for the useful replies

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X