• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PM and getting sticky

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM and getting sticky

I've noticed a few posts talking about staying a long time in one contract/place. I've been a contract PM for a few years now, moving within different parts of the same blue chip.

I'm curious how long other contract PMs stay in one place? My view is that it's harder to move roles frequently as (from what I've heard) most of the PM roles tend to last for a year or more. I'm looking to move on early next year, but am concerned about being labelled as inflexible.

Any opinions?

-----------------------------------------

"When you're through changing, you're through." Bruce Barton

you shouldnt have a problem!

i left my perm role after 7yrs and am on 2nd contract! First was for 4mths to bail someone out of the poo, and this one is coming to 3mths and it looks like because of the company going through a demerger they are not renewing any contracts... in fact, tomorrow, i'll be the last one left and wont know till next week if they plan to renew. My contract expires 19/10.

I've been told they want to keep me, and i've also been told they may offer me perm. i'm already in two minds about whether i should go out and finding something else so i'm ready for when they dont renew!

I wouldnt worry to much, they are more concerned with you being able to do the role! go for it and see.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Good to know, I guess/hope clients recognise the nature of job means you can't be in and out in a month.

I'm going to try and shift industry, that would at least show some adaptability. Ideally the IB/financial sector, but keep reading how hard it is to break into that.

Any IB-types out there who can tell me (a) *why* it's quite so incestuous, and (b) how I can break in?

[That's probably an uber-newbie question that's got the old hands rolling their eyes already.... ]

-----------------------------------------

"When you're through changing, you're through." Bruce Barton

Comment

Working...
      X