• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Rate Help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Rate Help

Hi,

My current contract is up for renewal in 3 weeks, i want to renew but i have had a job offer from another client which is £6-7 an hour more.

As i say i want to stay so should i broach this with my current agent and see if they will increase my rate??

All help is greatfully recieved!!

I'm not sure what proportion of your current rate £6/7 is but if it's more than 10% then you're not likely to be able to twist the agent's arm to reduce their take to that extent IMHO.

As usual with these things you have to weigh up the devil you know, skills acquisition issues, location, how the client looks on your CV etc etc. Only you will know the answer to these questions...

In the end if your client thinks he can't do without you then he may budge. Personally I never speak to the agent in the first instance about renewal terms if I'm looking for an increase. I will always try to subtly sound out the client and gauge how bothered they are as to whether I renew or not. I've found that saying you're not renewing for money reasons is best avoided. Better I've found to say that I have an offer that will allow me to develop my skillset into a new area or give me more experience of a key technology. Inevitably, if the client wants to retain you then he knows that money is the only thing that might just persuade you to stay on. I also never say who I'm talking to or who my next client is. If asked I just say I've been asked by the agent not to disclose this at this stage for commercial sensitivity reasons.

As you can tell it's all a bit of a game really. If you're prepared to walk (and really you need to be) then be firm, consistent and business-like and you'll give yourself the best chance of increasing your rate.

Good luck!

Rob

Comment

Working...
    X