• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 or what???!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane View Post
    Great in theory at least. Many of the clients I've come across are total control freaks, demanding you're in at 9 and out at half 5.

I know it's ridiculous, but you sometimes have to be pragmatic - you can't get too fussy about working terms unless you've worked your way above the commodity skills sector.
    Yep, I worked for one as a BOS contractor, hourly rate. The work had dried up one afternoon so I left early, rather than twiddling my thumbs and the client paying for it.
    Got called into the MD's office the next day to be told that the permies would get restless if they saw that I was leaving early, even though I was an hourly rate contractor and clearly not getting paid for it if I left!! Was told in no uncertain terms not to leave early again

Comment

The interesting thing is that I don't have my address on my CV. As per company law, I do have my registered company address on my email - that is nowhere where I live!

I will check where the "astute" agent has calculated the distance from.....!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
        I saw a role today that I was ideally suited for with my experience and wanted to be put forward for. I contacted the agent and ensured they had a copy of my CV. They said they woudl take a look and get back to me but they initially said my CV looked good.

Imagine my surprise when I got a reply back with the following comment:-

"The only concern I have is the distance – on multi map it says it would take 1hr 20min not taking into account rush hour or bad traffic. We know [End Client] will not consider you unless you are willing to stay near Reading during the week."

What an earth is the contract world coming to? The End Client obviously does not care about IR35 and the agent does not understand the implications. If I thought it was bad that End Clients made you come to site 5 days a week or insisted on certain hours then this is way over the top IMHO. What difference does it make where I am living as long as the work gets done and to the right standards?!

What would you say to the agent? Would you decline the role or would you still be put forward but tell the agent it is not appropriate for the End Client to stipulate where I live? Or tell me, am I being a tad over-sensitive?!

Can you imagine if you told a plumber, that quoted for 2-3 days work, that they would have to sleep in a tent in the front garden?!!!
        I had a client express concern that I might not be staying local - but since they were 200 miles away, it was fairly easy to reassure them that I would be!

Explain nicely to the agent that you will be staying nearby, but haven't sorted accommodation out yet. When you have the gig, then you will sort the accommodation out.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
        X