• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quality or quantity?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality or quantity?

When looking for new opportunities do folks out there go for quality or quantity? i.e. do people take time to taylor their CV/profile for every single application or do they just submit out the same CV each time and therefore increase the number that can be applied for in any given day.

Quality every time.

Spend the time focusing on bringing out your relevant skills in your CV.

Go for the contracts you really want to do. If you can get any real information out of the agent that is...

Comment

I've got three CVs depending whether I'm applying for a front end web developer, ASP/SQL Server or Sharepoint role. Those pretty much cover any job I would apply for with emphasis on the right bit for each. Still pretty lazy, but perhaps a bit less lazy than just having one.

Comment

Quality. I'm a bit nichey, and if you blat your CV out at the drop of a hat, everybody thinks you've lost the plot.

Comment

Depends a bit on your skill set.. Development can be quite specific versus say Project Management which is likely to be more generic. I have 3 versions designed to cover what I consider my core strengths. Previously I have tailored each CV to the role for which I'm applying, but this can be frustrating, particularly in the face of lazy pimps or worse still CV harvesting agencies.
          Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Quality - I work in the health sector, in a number of areas, most IT, some not. I get very few things I can apply for but there are very few people qualified for them (I hope).

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
              When looking for new opportunities do folks out there go for quality or quantity? i.e. do people take time to taylor their CV/profile for every single application or do they just submit out the same CV each time and therefore increase the number that can be applied for in any given day.
              I tailor my CV each time. It seems to work.

Comment

Working...
              X