• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel Expenses for contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Expenses for contractors

Hi there.

I am getting a lot of conflicting information regarding travel expenses while contracting.

If I am travelling by train (return) from Bristol to London to my respective contracted place of work, can I claim these travel expenses? There will be no additional travel incurred during my normal working day.

I am planning to be administered under an umbrella company.

Thank you

Further reading note from Admin: Contractor Travel Expenses
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 20 April 2011, 08:57.

you certainly can ! any expenses incurred wholly in relation to the business can be claimed.

Comment

Originally posted by kirk
      you certainly can ! any expenses incurred wholly in relation to the business can be claimed.
      ]

I will be in same situation, what does this actually mean financially that one can expense travel?

Comment

Sigh. I have no idea how this applies to Umbrella companies, so there may be more considerations.

Do not consider travelling to a client site as "travelling to work". It is travelling to a temporary work place as opposed to your regular work place. There are detailed examples (note that in the usual HMRC unhelpful way there are not detailed rules) on the HMRC website of what is involved here.

Comment

Originally posted by reddeagle
          ]I will be in same situation, what does this actually mean financially that one can expense travel?
          It means you get paid that money back tax free, but that comes out of your income. In the final analysis, what this means is if you're paying 40% tax, you pay for 60% of the expense.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
            It means you get paid that money back tax free, but that comes out of your income. In the final analysis, what this means is if you're paying 40% tax, you pay for 60% of the expense.
            Cheers, i think i understand.
            i best keep all receipts.

Comment

Originally posted by reddeagle
              Cheers, i think i understand.
              i best keep all receipts.
              On this subject, is rail fare VATable ?? Receipts I get for my train tickets do not have VAT mentioned ???

Comment

No VAT on train tickets. There is on parking in thier car parks though!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                  No VAT on train tickets. There is on parking in thier car parks though!!!
                  I am not sure, but isn't there some VAT added if you pay by credit card?

Comment

You can't change VAT status depending on payment method. It is either VATable or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X