• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Creating a company run from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a company run from home

Hi,

I am looking to incorporate a new business from home, is it possible to use a home address as the registered office address? Additionally as a way of cutting costs etc do I actually have to appoint a company secretary?

Thanks,

Yes and Yes. There is legislation to enable single person limited companies but I don't believe it is in operation yet. It doesn't cost anything to appoint a wife/husband/mum/dad etc as company secretary.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

I should add that it needs to be a UK address and not a PO Box.
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

I would suggest using your accountant as the registered address. The address can look more professional and it's less paperwork if you decide to move at some point.

Comment

You might also be able to appoint your accountant (or one of his subsidiaries) as the co sec, if you don't trust any of your friends or family.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            I would suggest using your accountant as the registered address. The address can look more professional and it's less paperwork if you decide to move at some point.
            my accountant has moved twice and I'm still at the same address

my registered office is now my home - was my accountants until this year - but they keep moving and were charging me £200 a year to file dormant accounts for the last 6 years.

I rang the IR and apparantly there was no need for this and so my dormant company no longer file them, just send a return to companies house - £15 filing fee - ~£185 saving

I am director and my wife is company secretary.

I'm thinking, now I'm opening up again - to do my own accounts - looking at all the bunf on the IR website and the CD-ROM they supply it all looks too easy to pay hundreds to an accountant - and I enjoy that sort of thing anyway - sad but true.
            Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 27 August 2007, 18:11.

Comment

In my opinion, the value of an accountant is not in them actually doing your accounts, as you say this seems fairly straight forward.

As far as I am concerened, the value of an accountant is in knowing the law, and knowing how much tax you *really* need to pay and why.
              With all the changes to tax law that happen every year, there is no way I would have time to keep track of these.

In our first year in business, we paid about 700 in accountancy fees, but the accountant saved us well over 2k by knowing about things we didn't know about (and I bet the IR don't advertise ).
              Well worth it.

Comment

Do not have your home as a registered office, during investigations HM inspectors will visit and assess your ability to pay by the size of your house (we are all Band G surely?)and visible affluence (it's only fair).
                My accountant does not charge for using his offices as the registered address- I suggest you investigate this option
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                X