• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company website - 'Small company' vs solo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company website - 'Small company' vs solo

Planning to build company website. From other posts in this forum I understand that most of you with websites are presenting a 'Small IT consultancy' image. Has that brought in any new business? If so, how do you respond when potential customers ask about size of company, references etc?

I am inclined towards highlighting my own skills in the site - making it obvious that its a one man company. Has anyone tried this approach? Does this bring in new clients?

I thought this 'one man band' idea might work after seeing Jonathan Lewis's site -http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/ He is quite well known in Oracle circle and working as an independent consultant for more than a decade.

simple really.

If you don't want to go towards the consultancy way , put a solo site.

Comment

Nothing to stop you doing both.

Comment

Originally posted by kingshuk
        Planning to build company website. From other posts in this forum I understand that most of you with websites are presenting a 'Small IT consultancy' image. Has that brought in any new business? If so, how do you respond when potential customers ask about size of company, references etc?

I am inclined towards highlighting my own skills in the site - making it obvious that its a one man company. Has anyone tried this approach? Does this bring in new clients?

I thought this 'one man band' idea might work after seeing Jonathan Lewis's site -http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/ He is quite well known in Oracle circle and working as an independent consultant for more than a decade.
        It's true that as long as clients really want you personally, it is your personal reputation that gets the contracts. Mind you, in lots of classic small businesses like plumbing, roofing etc, the main man may have the reputation but he is likely to check out the job himself but send an employee round to do the job; you can only hope that he stakes his own reputation on everything his employees do.

In a way he does because he is running a business that he cares about. So perhaps should we. If clients want to deal with businesses (and why else would they use some of the agencies around? Don't answer, it might be construed as libel) then let them think of MyCo Ltd as a business, just as much as Dodgy Bodyshop Ltd (apologies where due).

I stand behind my name, personal or Ltd, at least as much as many an agency does. How to persuade clients of that? I hate to see them pay agencies so much for nothing.
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I think the best way is to leave your options open. I try to run my company as a business so have a business website, I also have a personal blog that has my CV on it.

Comment

Jonathan Lewis has written a number of books - he's known as working on his own, so him trying to convince people that he's anything other than a one man band wouldn't work.

I've received a number of inquiries via my company website, presenting as a small company. If they need more people, then I bring in "Associate Consultants", otherwise known as subcontractors.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

thanks guys for the inputs. I will go the "small company" way and probably keep a weblog embedded in the site.

I've received a number of inquiries via my company website
              Did you do any advertising (google/trademags) ? Or did they find you on their own?

Comment

thanks guys for the inputs. I will go the "small company" way and probably keep a weblog embedded in the site.

Did you do any advertising (google/trademags) ? Or did they find you on their own?
                No advertising, apart from putting a link to my website on LinkedIn, and the two other industry related fora that I use. From that, there are a few entries in del.icio.us and technorati and the like that link in to me, but mostly it's just from searching on Google. I also run my own forum via my website, which helps get more hits via Google.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X