• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private Sector / Public Sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Sector / Public Sector

I have a contracting history purely in the private sector. Clients have been, in the main, big banks, telcos and travel firms. Small project portfolio management up to large scale project/progamme delivery.

Current contract is drawing to a close and another renewal is likely, but not confirmed. On top of that I do feel that I would benefit from the buzz of a new gig.

Off the back of seeing a few public sector contracts out there, I am wondering if anyone successfully operates in both the private and public sectors?

I could very easily end up landing a public sector contract and hating it and I really don't want to limit my ability to get another private sector contract.

Ta muchly.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

In my experience there is no problem having both public and private sector experience. Most customers require some knowledge and experience in their field, not necessarily exclusive knowledge or experience. If anything, it will probably make you more "employable" in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
      I have a contracting history purely in the private sector. Clients have been, in the main, big banks, telcos and travel firms. Small project portfolio management up to large scale project/progamme delivery.

Current contract is drawing to a close and another renewal is likely, but not confirmed. On top of that I do feel that I would benefit from the buzz of a new gig.

Off the back of seeing a few public sector contracts out there, I am wondering if anyone successfully operates in both the private and public sectors?

I could very easily end up landing a public sector contract and hating it and I really don't want to limit my ability to get another private sector contract.

Ta muchly.
      I have over the past 2 years, dipped in and out of private banks and government projects....

You have to remember, the government is actually investing serious amounts of cash to regenerate and 'privatise' most government projects. Just look at institutions like the BBC, NHS for example....

Comment

yep done both.

currently with a Gvt agency, prior to that 18 months at Financial Services Software House also done a 12 month gig at Companies House.

The only difference is that private sector clients work in the real world, public sectors ones in the dark ages - think "yes prime minister"
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
          yep done both.

The only difference is that private sector clients work in the real world, public sectors ones in the dark ages - think "yes prime minister"
          In my experience this is correct. Also the public-sector permies tend to add weight to the 'pay peanuts, get monkeys' theory. I've had a couple of public sector gigs and found them very frustrating because of the can't-do and its-not-my-job attitudes.
          Think very carefully before committing yourself for any length of time.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy
            In my experience this is correct. Also the public-sector permies tend to add weight to the 'pay peanuts, get monkeys' theory. I've had a couple of public sector gigs and found them very frustrating because of the can't-do and its-not-my-job attitudes.
            Think very carefully before committing yourself for any length of time.
            the permies here are great, they come out with "gosh I wish I was contracting and earning loads of money".

They soon shut up when I pointed out that all the various taxes I pay - Income tax, 2 x NI, Corp Tax - pays for their lovely pensions....

Comment

I love the public sector. Its easy money!
              Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maxamus
                I love the public sector. Its easy money!
                just this week though got told that they can only give a 2% rate increase to contractors !

thats less than the lazy nurses are getting...

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
                  I have over the past 2 years, dipped in and out of private banks and government projects....

You have to remember, the government is actually investing serious amounts of cash to regenerate and 'privatise' most government projects. Just look at institutions like the BBC, NHS for example....
                  Do telehones differ much between public and private sectors?

Comment

No problem - I've done plenty of both.

Public sector have a tendency to be less hectic (!) - i.e. they are happier to sit back for a LONG time and think about something, rather than actually doing something. No wonder they all go over budget, really.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X