• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overseas travel and business costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overseas travel and business costs

My current client has asked me to travel overseas for a week to perform some work at one of their offices on the continent. Before I was asked, all relevant permanent staff were asked if they would this, and all refused.

I have said that I am willing to do this, but only on the condition that my client covers all my business-related costs of dealing with other clients while away. I'm heavily reliant on phone and internet due to performing a lot of client work during evenings and weekends, and would obviously not incur costs of international phone/data calls while in the UK.

Should this be refused, I'm tempted to withdraw my offer to travel on the basis that it is not a sound decision for my business to perform this trip due to the expenses that will be incurred.

There's no specific question here - I'd just appreciate comments, opinions, advice etc as it's the first time I've encountered a situation of this kind.

Good luck, i would expect them to tell you where to go tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
      Good luck, i would expect them to tell you where to go tbh
      Ditto - can't see them being willing to sign up to what are essentially unspecified expenses, that are nothing to do with your work for them.

Get a cheap substitute in to do it for you, and charge them a premium for sorting it out!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Add an agreed "overseas premium" to the contract rate... eg up your rate for those days when you're working in the continent. If it was not expected of you to work abroad when the contract was agreed then this should be fair enough.
        Only problem with this is that it sounds as if you've already said yes to them.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Thankfully they've decided that dealing with my requests is too much hassle and one of the permies is going instead. Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
            I have said that I am willing to do this, but only on the condition that my client covers all my business-related costs of dealing with other clients while away. I'm heavily reliant on phone and internet due to performing a lot of client work during evenings and weekends, and would obviously not incur costs of international phone/data calls while in the UK.
            Glad it all worked out well in the end but, in fairness, you should have factored in all the additional costs before agreeing to it.

You wouldn't like it if you got a builder in to do some decorating, asked him to do some work at a friends house and then after he said yes, he started asking for additional money for travel or what ever expenses he had.
            Last edited by Mustang; 20 July 2007, 23:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
              Glad it all worked out well in the end but, in fairness, you should have factored in all the additional costs before agreeing to it.
              I know what you're saying and I agree. The waters were somewhat muddied by the fact that the travel was "voluntary" (can't think of a better word) and that somebody else would have done it if I'd chosen to turn it down.

In effect, I was pushing for an "I'll help you out if you'll help me out in return" arrangement.

Comment

Working...
              X