• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract renewal

At what point would you start to ask about a renewal.

4/6 weeks before the end ? My current gig finishes on middle Sept.

Cheers

Originally posted by FiveTimes

Cheers
    No earlier than 4 weeks - most permie staff cannot think that far ahead.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You should normally get a vibe from the client whether or not it is likely to be extended.

If nothing is forthcoming then ask the client if they think you should be looking for another gig - approx 2 weeks before the end of yours.

I normally get the extension in the very last week but I normally have a good idea before that if I'll be kept on.

Comment

4 weeks.

Comment

I normally ask 4 weeks before to gage what is going on. Luckly in my role i know the level of work coming through so can judge myself if i'm going to be extended. I normally ask for definite answer with 2 weeks left and inform them that from that date i will be looking and first one to secure contract wins.

This normally gets their ass in gear to get things secured.
          Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

renewals

Agreed, ask 4 weeks before to gage what is going on. Count yourself lucky, I have been on a rolling 1 month contract since january, I no sooner get the extention and I am back on the phone to ask for an extention. Bad planning on clients part but what can you do....

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes

Cheers
              you should be looking for another contract. they will come to u if they need u within 2/4 weeks.

Comment

Working...
              X