• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

experiences as a newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

experiences as a newbie

Let me set the picture. A couple of months ago I took the plunge to leave the permie world and get into contracting. In the last couple of months I've been busy honing my skills and learning wonderful new technologies and so I'm all set and eager to impress .

Right now my CV is a little bare, so getting my first contract plus a renewal is my primary goal. An agent rang me up saying a client had been looking for a permie for a long time but hadn't been getting anywhere, and now that time is pressing on they want a contractor instead. Great! I look at the spec and it looks perfect for me.

What I'm unsure about (and is the point of the post), are a couple of lines in the spec: "Working out a 24x7 call rota", "Training more junior members" . Neither of those would put me off the contract, however I don't know where that puts me with regards to IR35. It sounds very... permie... but maybe I'm wrong and this is common-place? Inside IR35 or out of it, I will probably go ahead anyway since it's invaluable experience for me, but advice is welcome.

On another note, I will be setting up my Ltd and hiring an accountant etc hopefully prior to any interview. I had been putting off the cost since I was in training but I realise I need to get this sorted now, and fast!

I will keep you updated on my progress.

Originally posted by Nugnut
    Inside IR35 or out of it, I will probably go ahead anyway since it's invaluable experience for me, but advice is welcome.
    Join the PCG, get their investigation insurance, put the 3 magic clauses in your contract and forget about it. IR35 IS DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by pickle
      3 magic clauses
      Enlighten us.

Comment

Originally posted by pickle
        Join the PCG, get their investigation insurance, put the 3 magic clauses in your contract and forget about it. IR35 IS DEAD.
        I will do that. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
          Enlighten us.
          substitution
          moo
          & direction and control
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
            substitution
            moo
            & direction and control
            I thought for a moment he was suggesting some low-cost cut-and-paste alternative to a B&C review. Perhaps not.

Comment

Working...
            X