• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what to do, leaving contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to do, leaving contract early

the contract i'm on is due to end 31/07, altho we are in major wind down mode (i.e. am sat on my arse at home not doing v much), and my contract says 4 wks notice.

The workload has been like this for weeks, and due to personal reason i wanna be up north now. i'm getting several calls now, and the odd interview. i've spoken to my agency who have agreed that i could give 1-2wks notice, but have said the client (a big IT firm) might want to hold me to the 4wks. there is a perm guys would be left, and at least he would have something to do and the company save money if i left early...

The question is, i want to know what would be agreeable with client, but i dont want to rock the boat for my fellow contractor (who is in similiar boat), as at least we're being paid while looking. do i ask the client and see what they would agree or take the risk and see what is said when i try to leave early?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

If your fellow contractor is big strong and hairy, I would stay where you
    are, unless you like losing some teeth.

HTH

Comment

Leave office tonight and never look back. Then change your phone number to stop the pimp from hassling you.

Comment

How well do you get on with the client staff?

I would explain to whoever you report to that for personal reasons, you need to be looking to go before the end of the contract. If the reasons are convincing enough, they should let you go.

Unless you are a BoS temp, you should only be being paid for the time you are there, so if the client says that there is nothing for you to do, you should be OK to leave regardless of the notice period (which is for permies anyway...)
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Its not CSC is it?

I left them ages ago giving a weeks notice when they wanted two. They witheld one weeks pay that I've never seen. I havent pursued them for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ledge
            Its not CSC is it?

I left them ages ago giving a weeks notice when they wanted two. They witheld one weeks pay that I've never seen. I havent pursued them for it.
            If you went through an agency, and opted into the agency regulations, then they cannot withhold payment because they aren't happy. If you turn up for the time, and invoice for it, then they must pay. If they aren't happy with the work, then they would need to look for resolution under contract law, but they cannot withhold payment if you did the work.

Start charging interest and penalty fees if you've done the work and they're not paying for it.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
              If you went through an agency, and opted into the agency regulations, then they cannot withhold payment because they aren't happy. If you turn up for the time, and invoice for it, then they must pay. If they aren't happy with the work, then they would need to look for resolution under contract law, but they cannot withhold payment if you did the work.

Start charging interest and penalty fees if you've done the work and they're not paying for it.
              It was 2 years ago, about £800 quids worth, and I'm pretty sure I opted out.

The thing is that the agency in question is a major player in hiring in my field. I wouldnt want to be ruled out of any other contracts because I went and sued them.

The hassle just wouldnt be worth it. I appreciate the comments though.

Comment

Working...
              X