• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pre-screening and references

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-screening and references

hi
    I'm back contract hunting and already on day one I've got 2 different agencies ringing me up and telling me about a role and then asking for references before I even hear about an interview.
    I usually say "I have references and name for all work going back 6 years but I will only give them to the client on receipt of a job offer"
    One was an obvious junior recruiters who said "well we've hit a brick wall and I can't even put you forward".
    I dont want agencies hounding previous managers and mentioning me, they'll just stop giving references.

So whats the story are they full of RVD (Recruiter Verbal Diarrhea) should I bin them?

Im a bit suspicious of the 2nd call no client company name, no job spec. but first one was a large agency.
    And whats with agencies cant they read. Im looking for a contract in london...."hi i have a permanent job in bristol"

b

So whats the story are they full of RVD (Recruiter Verbal Diarrhea) should I bin them?
    Yes full RVD. Provide references only after securing a contract. Not before it. The agencies are simply fishing for possible openings in other places you have worked before.
    And whats with agencies cant they read. Im looking for a contract in london...."hi i have a permanent job in bristol"
    They usually don't read CVs with all that much attention. Given that it is what they do for a living, they must be reading hundreds of these every week...I suspect its much easier to make a call than read.

Comment

Captain birds eye agency

well
      wonder of wonders I have a 3rd agency demanding references even before they put my cv forward!

has the recruitment industry been taken over by captain birds eye...now theyre all fishing!

Im good friends with all the managers so I ran them all first to warn them. I said give out no info except about me and if they start fishing for jobs tell them to "F. OFF NICELY"

Comment

I just give the sector of the client's business and the general location. If they then push for a specific name, I say that I am bound by a non-disclosure agreement. I reckon this is likely to sound more professional than telling them to f-off, politely or otherwise.
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Well according to the agency regs they are actually meant to check references and eligibility to work in the UK before they even submit your CV to the client (if you are "opting in", this is also the the last chance they have to get you to legally opt out, thus removing the legal requirements for them to do the checks)

But as any contractor who has been around for a while knows, these early "reference checks" are mainly (exclusively?) pimps looking for sales leads. In my early years I used to give out these references and nearly every time the names I gave got not one actual reference check call but they did get loads of sales pitches and I never got a single interview from those agents, never mind an actual real contract

Until they make it illegal for agents to use reference information for anything besides references checking no agent will ever again be supplied a reference from me again before there is a contract offer on the table and if references are asked for at that stage (never have been) they will be supplied direct to the client not the agency.

Now if an agent even mentions references I pretty much tell them to get lost and hang up because it is pretty much a safe assumption if they are that desperate for sales leads they don't have a real contract

Comment

Presumably this means that most people don't include their referees contact details on their CV's? Otherwise as soon as you forward your CV for a gig, they'd have the contacts to pester.

Comment

If you think like a business, you soon realise that the contacts you have with ex-clients are a very valuable business asset. It is company confidential information.

Do not tell the pimps, it is THAT simple.

PS. I have never been asked for references on securing a contract. I have never heard back from any agent that has taken references from me in order for them to send a CV to a client. I've been contracting for about 15 years. What does this tell you?
              Last edited by King Cnvt; 12 June 2007, 13:53.

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
                If you think like a business, you soon realise that the contacts you have with ex-clients are a very valuable business asset. It is company confidential information.

Do not tell the pimps, it is THAT simple.

PS. I have never been asked for references on securing a contract. I have never heard back from any agent that has taken references from me in order for them to send a CV to a client. I've been contracting for about 15 years. What does this tell you?
                That you've never opted into the agency regulations.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've never had to provide references and i've been opted in before. The fact is that even if opted in the majoirty of pimps won't bother contacting your references and checking out your work history because by the time they have done all the leg work your initial contract will most likely have finished and by that time the end client doesn't really care because they will know how good you are anyway.

Comment

yes
                    none of those agencies ever got back to me when I went quiet.

As well all know if there was a chance they could make some dosh from you theyd be on top of you faster than a chugger......charity mugger.

Comment

Working...
                    X