• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

legitimate business expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legitimate business expenses

Do any of you folks claim "corporate entertainment"......

I.e. - I go on a piss up with a client, get receipts and then claim it back??

This sounds like a belter to me
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Nope. I only ever use the 'staff party' allowance.

The rules on claiming business entertainment against profits are quite restrictive so it's best not to bother unless it's your main business. Also, it points to you abusing the company's legal structure for your own ends !

In my opinion.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

I am getting a sense of deja vu!

This was done a day or two ago (Possibly under "Cheeky Expense") - spelling is deliberate

Comment

must have missed it earlier this week - apologies......

thanks guys
        Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
        I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

I dont understand then.

Nearly everywhere ive ever worked has had a large number of execs or managers who would frequently take people out for lunch/dinner/drinks (staff and clients) and it would all be done 'on expenses'.

... surely all these places werent breaking the law?

Comment

It's not against the law !!!!!

It's just that most companies can't set it against profits (eg. as a company overhead). It must be taken from profits after corporation tax has been paid.

In the old days, it was common for companies to give staff regular tax free beano's with clients instead of taxable pay - which means the HMRC lost out. You can't really do that anymore. Limited companies obviously still entertain clients but they can't use it as a tax free perk for staff anymore.
            It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Yeah. When the middle management types get all excited about it being 'on expenses' what they mean is it isn't being paid for by them personally. The company owners are paying for it. In a one man ltd co that would be you! Whether or not this can be offset against tax is what has changed, quite a while back now.

It's quite sweet to watch these middle management halfwits getting excited at the prospect of a free curry. Bless 'em.

Comment

Working...
              X