• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

html & javascripters - What are the ave Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

html & javascripters - What are the ave Rates

hi everybody. new here. first post.

If this is out of line just dont post as i have not read the rules of what i can and cannot ask.

So...what does everybody think the rates are for web devlopers. Focusing in the areas of html and javascript. I know that ajax is starting to attract more as per the itjobwatch site, but who can trust that 100%?

Hope to hear from everybody
    Tony

Depends if you also have some server side i.e. .NET or Java and even better SQL and XML/XSLT/Web services. Otherwise I rekon quite low.

Comment

how low is low? I am not really sure of the definitions. whats low and whats hi?

Comment

In my experience, for the traditional web developer package (XHTML, JavaScript, CSS, XML/XSL, SQL, ASP or similar, Photoshop) you can usually get around 300 quid a day these days. Heading into more trendy stuff like .NET, Ajax, Sharepoint etc the rates go up. Maybe 400 a day, maybe more in some location.

But contract rates vary hugely, and I've seen plenty of standard web developer contracts advertised for 125 a day. You have to decide what you're willing to work for and stick it out till you get that rate. If you're good enough and flexible enough then you should get what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
          you can usually get around 300 quid a day these days.
          Blimey - where do I sign up?

Are you London based by any chance? It's more like 175-200 for PHP/ASP and 200-300 for .NET around here. That's the top tier as well - 5+ years of experience.

Comment

chicane - where is "around here?"

Comment

Originally posted by tonygurnick
              chicane - where is "around here?"
              Based in Yorkshire and (currently) work in Nottingham.

Comment

wow long commute-im in london. Im sure that the high rates here adjust for the cost of living?? maybe??

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
                  Blimey - where do I sign up?

Are you London based by any chance? It's more like 175-200 for PHP/ASP and 200-300 for .NET around here. That's the top tier as well - 5+ years of experience.
                  The rates do seem to vary enormously, but I've been contracting for 7 years now and I've never gone below 300 quid a day in all that time. That's just for the stuff I mentioned - Classic ASP and the usual web gubbins to go with it.

Most the time I've been contracting in the North West, apart from a year with a French company.

First thing I do when I get a phone call is check it's definitely a contract role and then confirm that my rate is acceptable. If it's not then just say thanks and bye. If people are accepting under 200 quid a day for that kind of experience then they're being taken for a ride because the clients will pay more, and quite rightly too.

Comment

i have had only 3 contracts in the uk (from nz) - been at it 2 years here now - and only the first one was under 300 per day

Comment

Working...
                    X