• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EB Regs - Agency wants me to opt out - Why ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EB Regs - Agency wants me to opt out - Why ?

I've just received the contracts for a gig and at the bottom of the contract is a clause which states...

OPT OUT NOTICE

This is an Opt Out notice under Regulation 32 paragraph (9) of The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 (the "Regulations"). Acting as Director of XXXXXXX Limited I agree that The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Business Regulations 2003 shall not apply to the Agreement. It is understood that this Opt Out shall only apply if XXXXX has received a valid Opt Out from XXXXXX prior to the commencement of the Agreement.

Now, I'm wondering why this is at the bottom of the contract. It's obvious to me that it's preferable from the agents point of view for me to be opted out (why else would it be in the contract) and I'm wondering if it's worth me getting them to remove this clause and "Opt In" to the EB regs.

Can anyone shed some light on this please and possibly (and in terms of less that 3 syllables ) explain the ramifications of being in or being out.

Thx
    Mark.

Because if you don't opt out, the clause in the contract stopping you from going direct to the client is void.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
      Because if you don't opt out, the clause in the contract stopping you from going direct to the client is void.

tim
      But the funny thing is, if you have already met the client (aka the interview) the opt out is void as well

Comment

There is a non return clause stating I can't get direct work with the client for a period of 12 months without going back through the agent.
        Is that the only reason ?

Comment

Also if you're opted in, the agency has to pay you regardless of whether or not they have been paid by the client.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
            But the funny thing is, if you have already met the client (aka the interview) the opt out is void as well
            IIRC, That's not true.

You have until you have started providing services. The regulations do state that once you've been introduced your opted in but there's an additional clause which overrides this

Besides, if I signed the contract "as is". I've have voluntarily opted out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
              Also if you're opted in, the agency has to pay you regardless of whether or not they have been paid by the client.
              Aha, now I see. I'm almost certainly going to opt in then and get this clause removed.

Comment

This is what my contract says:

"The Supplier acknowledges that it will not act under the control of the Client or End User and that for the purposes of the Employment Agencies Act 1973 the Company is not acting as an Employment Business. Subject to communication by any means of this document by the Company to the Supplier prior to the Commencement Date, the provision by the Supplier of any part of the Services shall be deemed to be acceptance of this agreement whether or not this document is signed by the Supplier."

I thought this was just an 'outside IR35' clause, but I'm not sure about the last part - sounds like I've opted out ??
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Eric
                  There is a non return clause stating I can't get direct work with the client for a period of 12 months without going back through the agent.
                  Is that the only reason ?
                  It's the only reason that they care about.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                    They have to do this anyway unless there is a clause in the contract that says otherwise.

And IMHO you should walk (very fast) from a company that insists on such a clause. After getting you the gig, EB's one role in life is factoring payments for your. If they refuse to do this, why should they still be in the loop?

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X