• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

rates in Brussels ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ratewhore
    You're setting your rates low for a PKI role, unless it's Windows Certificate Services, which isn't PKI, at least not in my book...

I hope It is a Windows Certificate Role , and I dont know how is that dragging the price down. I haven't worked with other PKIs but MS CAs don't lack any functionality. Also the MS CA is the only CA integrated with Active Directory , providing automated cert management for multiple pcs/users.
    Last edited by 2uk; 8 February 2007, 19:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor
      Rates in Brussels seem to be a lot higher than in France and indeed the Netherlands.

260 sterling is roughly 390 euros which seems a bit on the low side. I have done a lot of work for a eBanking sware house here with lots of PKI security stuff and the rate for Siebel work was over 700. I know loadrunner testers here getting similar.

Brussels is cheaper than London or Paris for sure but it ain't that cheap.

If you are here for over six months, I would second LG's advice re. mgmt companies.
      Actually found the rates I've been offered in the Netherlands at times to be better, but travelling that far hasn't appealed just yet. Getting into Zaventem each day is enough for me at the moment.

Overall think it's a hard call, depends on the systems you use, different countries, different markets/demand etc. Got paid very well in London, working for nothing but well known blue-chip multinationals, financial sector and so forth, but sometimes find people working on stuff which would be considered low-rate there getting a premium here. Germany (Frankfurt), Switzerland, Luxembourg with my background it's seems the opposite.

Then again after learning from my first contract back here that the agent was charging a 35% mark-up, you should definately take what the agent says with a pinch of salt and try to do some research.

Comment

what do you guys mean by management companies ? Do you mean umbrella ones ?

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
          what do you guys mean by management companies ? Do you mean umbrella ones ?
          It is a common way to work. Register as self-employed (an independent in local parlance) but have your contracts run through a management company, usually in luxembour or some other low-reg eu country.

A bit of jiggery-pokery ensues that can save quite a few quid and keeps things legal (does not work for holland though!)

On the pcg site there is a guide to this sort of stuff.

Well worth looking in to

Comment

It is a common way to work. Register as self-employed (an independent in local parlance) but have your contracts run through a management company, usually in luxembour or some other low-reg eu country.

Well worth looking in to
            Well I understand that under an Umbrella u are a PAYE so this cannot be compared to an Ltd doing a contract outside of IR35.

I also understand that no matter where the management conmpany is, you gonna get taxed according to the local tax regime where u are domiciled.
            Last edited by 2uk; 8 February 2007, 22:58.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
              I also understand that no matter where the management conmpany is, you gonna get taxed according to the local tax regime where u are domiciled.
              Yes, you are taxed as a self-employed local - nothing to do with british tax authorities, ir35 etc. If you set this up correctly it can be very interesting.

Comment

Yes, you are taxed as a self-employed local - nothing to do with british tax authorities, ir35 etc. If you set this up correctly it can be very interesting.

Depending upon your exact circumstances you could become resident in both countries (and domiciled in either). This tends to complicate things

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
                  Depending upon your exact circumstances you could become resident in both countries (and domiciled in either). This tends to complicate things
                  Indeed, I know some people who play on that particular grey area (dodgy finacial adviser types) to their advantage and I have a belgoan mate who got royally screwed in a double taxation scenario working in holland.

There are also loads of people who move bewenn european countries and just don't register with the local authorities and continue to use whatever british entity they work thorugh. Certainly, that is an easy option and I know one guy who was doing that for over a year but if you get challenged you will get taxed and charged the equivalent of NI on all income. Since social and income taxes are much higher in BE, this makes being IR35 caught seem like a bargain.

Comment

Working...
                  X