• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Methods of locating contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Methods of locating contracts?

Hi there, wonder if you can help me? I am fairly new to contracting and was wondering what the best methods are to secure new contracts? I am assuming that agencies are used widely, if so which ones are good / not so good? What about online job boards? I was thinking of monster, cwjobs, jobsite etc? Is it just a case of casting my net wide by posting CVs? Are there forums exchanging job opps etc? I have been to a couple of local agencies but very limited opps.

Any advice appreciated....

sandwich board

next!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynseyt
      Hi there, wonder if you can help me? I am fairly new to contracting and was wondering what the best methods are to secure new contracts? I am assuming that agencies are used widely, if so which ones are good / not so good? What about online job boards? I was thinking of monster, cwjobs, jobsite etc? Is it just a case of casting my net wide by posting CVs? Are there forums exchanging job opps etc? I have been to a couple of local agencies but very limited opps.

Any advice appreciated....
      http://www.jobserve.com/, only send your CV to pretty good matches and follow with a phone call a few hours later to the agent and sell yourself. The other boards occasionally turn up a job in my skill area so may be worth a look. Once you've been around a bit you may get direct calls from agents pre them advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
        http://www.jobserve.com/, only send your CV to pretty good matches and follow with a phone call a few hours later to the agent and sell yourself. The other boards occasionally turn up a job in my skill area so may be worth a look. Once you've been around a bit you may get direct calls from agents pre them advertising.

I send my CV to any role that I think I can do, when I am looking for a contract I send hundreds of emails - I never call any agents first, I wait for them to call me - they do call back even if you are not a perfect fit for that role they may have other roles or may be they think they can sell you on to companies.

Comment

I am threaded therefore all agents have to approve new roles with me before they are posted to job sites.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
            I send my CV to any role that I think I can do, when I am looking for a contract I send hundreds of emails - I never call any agents first, I wait for them to call me - they do call back even if you are not a perfect fit for that role they may have other roles or may be they think they can sell you on to companies.
            I have used the scatter gun approach when times are tough but if the market is OK then I reckon its a waste of time. I think CV follow up telephone calls are especially important if the agent doesn't already know you.

Comment

jobserve, followed by jobserve. virtually everything turns up on here and may be duplicated elsewhere. Tailor CV to the job to empasise areas they ask for -you need to be an exact match. Make it clear you are keen and available - vital for getting past the agent, last thing they want is to put you in then you pull out.

Comment

Word of mouth. You have to have been in your game for a while to get the contacts but in the end there are always a few places to talk to first. You know, the one agent that isn't a complete , your boss from the previous contract, some of your contracting chums who work in a similar area. That said, plan B is jobserve

Comment

jobjock

and word of mouth is good too
                  jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Working...
                  X