• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

permie moving to contract world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

permie moving to contract world

hi all,
    pls don't flame me as i m newbie...
    i decided that it's time for me to jump into contracting world..
    so, from now on i will have the wonderful task of dealing with agencies
    and job hunters

any contractor here has some tips to share for dealing with agents?

any comments will be appreciated

thanx and regards
    Marco

Hi there...done the same as you about 9 months ago - but spent the previous 3-4 years fending off agency phone calls on a regular basis...

By the time I jumped (was pushed actually) into contracting I had a fairly clear idea of who were the good guys and who were the bad guys....first impressions generally count

I've now pretty much stopped banging my CV to every job I see on jobserve because I know that the good guys will probably already have it covered - I ring them and ask them if they have it covered e.g. "Saw position on jobserver, Bangalore, £1 per week..one of yours??"....and try to get a bit more info....if not then I may respond to the add.

Don't know about anyone else but sticking close to 2 or 3 agents seems a semi-sensible way to do things.

Yes / No ???

Comment

Hi Billy Pilgrim,
      thanx for your comments....
      i guess, like you have done yourself, i'd have to find out good guys and bad guys myself....
      it will be a very interesting experience , i have already found couple of bad guys.... and still looking for good ones

thanx and regards
      Marco

Comment

Originally posted by MmarcoM
        so, from now on i will have the wonderful task of dealing with agencies
        and job hunters

any contractor here has some tips to share for dealing with agents?

any comments will be appreciated
        Yep.

1. Be an thick skinned a-hole as it really does help

2. Dont be afraid to tell the agent to go screw

3. Dont give you anything that you wouldnt to a permie recruiter:
        - No names of ex bosses
        - No interviews for jobs you didnt get etc.

4. Keep bugging the agencies once a week so they know your name etc and it springs to mind.

5. Remind el duder that he is turning into the 40 year old virgin

6. Always have more than one plan or course of action...gives you more bargaining power

7. Get contracts checked by B&C

8. Post more bullet points to take away the emphasis of no. 5 hoping he wont see it.

Comment

9. Keep in touch with your clients (e.g. the project manager / MD of the company that you are doing the end work for) on a regular basis once you've been and gone....keep asking if they have anything you could help with......tell them your position (ie doing a bit of work now but expect to be free in a 4 weeks) even if it you can't go direct with them they will ask whichever Co they went through to get you in the first place to get you back in again.

Did that last week (dropped a mail to the MD of a company I'd worked for) and got the offer of two bits of work - but had to turn them down since they wanted me 5 days per week, client facing - and someone else is already paying me for that one at the minute!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            1. Be an thick skinned a-hole as it really does help

2. Dont be afraid to tell the agent to go screw

3. Dont give you anything that you wouldnt to a permie recruiter:
            - No names of ex bosses
            - No interviews for jobs you didnt get etc.

6. Always have more than one plan or course of action...gives you more bargaining power

7. Get contracts checked by B&C
            I would have to agree on the points above. I'm moving into the contracting world and have just had a bad experience with an agency after telling them I have decided to go with a different offer - un-professional e-mails, calling my present employer to talk to me etc.

Don't forget that they need you, not the other way around (but don't try and get a bad name in the market ;-)

Nick.

Comment

Working...
            X