• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting out as contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
    The optimism is great, however there just isn’t the supply for contracting roles at the moment so you’re going to struggle to get any traction.

For that reason going contracting right now is irrational as you’ll find better permanent propositions right now.
    Where? Roles are on hold on the permie side because of the shutdown too.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Rob283 View Post
      Hi I am considering starting out as programme or project manager on contracting basis. I wondered what those in the £billion pound industry think about the current climate of contracting. Is this still a wise choice considering IR35 and the changes proposed. Or would I be better taking up permanent position. any general advise or considered opinions are greatly appreciated
      Now isn't the time for a new business venture. Now is the time for wearing a tin hat and crouching under the desk. Check again in a couple of months, it might all be different. In the meantime, if you haven't got a job, I would advise looking for a permanent one.

Even before the virus, the contracting market was being convulsed by IR35 changes in the private sector. That storm will also need months to die down. My advice would be to wait until 2020 before taking the plunge.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
        Now isn't the time for a new business venture. Now is the time for wearing a tin hat and crouching under the desk. Check again in a couple of months, it might all be different. In the meantime, if you haven't got a job, I would advise looking for a permanent one.

Even before the virus, the contracting market was being convulsed by IR35 changes in the private sector. That storm will also need months to die down. My advice would be to wait until 2020 before taking the plunge.
        Why? Why not an inside IR35 gig close to home? Someone switching from perm wouldn't baulk at having to pay PAYE on a contract that's paying an extra 40k a year over the next 12 months. They never knew the tax breaks so wouldn't miss them. Besides, where do you think all the perm jobs are?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post

2021 not 2020 I presume you mean ?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Where? Roles are on hold on the permie side because of the shutdown too.
            I see better permanent roles at the moment compared to contracting / temporary work.

Comment

I see better permanent roles at the moment compared to contracting / temporary work.
              Yet you're competing against actual permies - that will be one of the harder parts, even if you're better qualified. Most firms will be wary right now of taking contractors on in permie roles. I know I would be.

Comment

Yet you're competing against actual permies - that will be one of the harder parts, even if you're better qualified. Most firms will be wary right now of taking contractors on in permie roles. I know I would be.
                Companies will take anyone who is open to the salary on offer, it's not like contracting is an option at the moment.

Comment

Companies will take anyone who is open to the salary on offer, it's not like contracting is an option at the moment.
                  I transitioned from contractor to permie two years ago - even back then, there were major concerns about me using it as a stop-gap.

Comment

I transitioned from contractor to permie two years ago - even back then, there were major concerns about me using it as a stop-gap.
                    What were their concerns?

And which parts did you dislike? (I know I would have some)
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      What were their concerns?

And which parts did you dislike? (I know I would have some)
                      No concerns on ability to do the job (topped the tests, etc.).
                      Their understandable concern was why I wanted to go back perm and I actually didn't have to lie; I had simply had enough of working away and living out of a suitcase.

HR at both places I've worked (I moved on after 18 months in the first permie job) were light touch but politics were an issue at the first place (always look at Glassdoor before you take a permie job somewhere). I'd almost suggest taking a consultancy role to transition yourself back into permie more easily.

Comment

Working...
                      X