• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouWester View Post
    Beh. 3.5 years with current client. Yes yes I know but usual is 18-24 months, bad timing to go long, to put it mildly... Blanket ban communicated through agency, contract end end of March. I assume this means I won't actually get a determination, not sure if this is good or bad?

I want to stay, they want me to stay, offer me permie, offer me inside... I would take either because I like it there but... I am having trouble accepting the increased risk of an investigation. That's a £40k liability - years of hard graft to pay off that chunky lump. I would feel like a right plonker if the hammer came down, especially when all I had to do was move (and I have been there too long anyway and am becoming intitutionalised).

Leaving decreases risk for sure. My contract for the last year is pretty watertight (outside), but before that... wasn't.

Still not sure. If the legislation could be amended to prevent retrospective... but I can't see how this would be feasible in reality. And who trusts HMRC anyway? Loan Charge anyone?

Work in telco. Suspect they will change their approach to use NTT/Wipro/Infosys/Accenture bods instead. Not sure this is the right approach for the business but... it ain't my business so...

Some other contractors have gone permie already, but no idea what most are planning as I am never in the office. I will ask and report back.
    Length of contact has zero impact on IR35 as proven many times

You have a watertight ir35 contact backed up by insurance ? Or on who’s say so?

£40K are you on like £30K a year contact ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

Quote the opposite. We've just mentioned JLJ where the length of time was a direct contributor to his downfall.

So its actually be proven it does.

It shouldn't on its own but it leads to slack practices which then do affect the status so an indirect link.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Ahhh. My bad. 141k was for the 7 years but he had it reduced to four. Bugger. Sorry.
        Just had to nip off and hose myself down after that, thanks.

I imagine that I am on a more modest day rate than JLJ, so I stand by my estimate. £40k is bad, £140k would be truely ruinous. Not that our dear fiends at HMRC would give a fig either way.

Comment

I don't know if I'd be more at risk of an investigation due to length, but I do think they'd do me for all 3.5 years, and can't see why they wouldn't go back as far as they could once they had their teeth in (4 years max is it?)

"Pretty watertight" is my assessment, not insured or independently assessed. This could definately be wrong and I assume I would be done for the whole 3.5 years.

£450 day rate. I have estimated £966/month liability.

Gworn then, what do you think a more accurate estimate would be?
          Last edited by SouWester; 17 February 2020, 21:18.

Comment

Comment

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

"Watertight" is my assessment, not insured or independently assessed. This could definately be wrong and I assume I would be done for the whole 3.5 years.

£450 day rate. I have estimated £966/month liability.

Gworn then, what do you think a more accurate estimate would be?
              What was you salary / div / expenses split ?

I see a leak in your assessment, would your client agree if they were challenged ?

Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 17 February 2020, 21:17.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Quote the opposite. We've just mentioned JLJ where the length of time was a direct contributor to his downfall.

So its actually be proven it does.

It shouldn't on its own but it leads to slack practices which then do affect the status so an indirect link.
                Length of time is minor issue if your have taken steps to ensue outside, if permietractor won’t maker if 1 month or 10 years

Comment

Length of time is minor issue if your have taken steps to ensue outside, if permietractor won’t maker if 1 month or 10 years

Yep definitely.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What was you salary / div / expenses split ?
                    Usual £10k salary, rest as dividends. ~£500/month travel expenses. 44 x 5 working days.

I see a leak in your assessment, would your client agree if they were challenged ?
                    Oops pardon me.

Err, if the client were challenged on what? On the blanket ban? Have told them I don't think I can stay, and that the only option to get me to stay is to declare me outside. Not sure where to from here.

Am working on a agile project, fairly high pressure, a large capacity per sprint and I have been successfully filling each sprint for 18 months now, working on my own. Enjoying myself and don't want to go as this is the most agile project I've ever worked on. They want to keep me because I fill the sprints and keep the devs at max capacity, and they just don't have anyone in the business to fill my role (because I killed them all - JOKING joking, I only killed some of them...).

Where's my leak and what's a more relaistic estimate?

Comment

Usual £10k salary, rest as dividends. ~£500/month travel expenses. 44 x 5 working days.

Oops pardon me.

Err, if the client were challenged on what? On the blanket ban? Have told them I don't think I can stay, and that the only option to get me to stay is to declare me outside. Not sure where to from here.

Am working on a agile project, fairly high pressure, a large capacity per sprint and I have been successfully filling each sprint for 18 months now, working on my own. Enjoying myself and don't want to go as this is the most agile project I've ever worked on. They want to keep me because I fill the sprints and keep the devs at max capacity, and they just don't have anyone in the business to fill my role (because I killed them all - JOKING joking, I only killed some of them...).

Where's my leak and what's a more relaistic estimate?
                      If HMRC took you to court and interviewed you client (as they do) would your client say you were defo outside IR35 ? As they now say you were inside

So in the office every day working on an agile project just like a permie would do?

Rough calc is £30K liability + HMRC interest per year extra

Comment

Working...
                      X