• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wrinkly software devs - or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim123
    Since when was .net been an 'embedded device'?

(an embedded device is e.g. a TV/Car/Lift etc). Yes they have HMI's in them and some of then have GUI's, but they don't have 'mouse' controlled GUI's.

tim
    I mean rates are higher for .Net Contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
      I mean rates are higher for .Net Contractors.
      #

Well of course they are.

But how does someone with 25 years of embedded programming get a job (e.g.) in a Bank writing a front end for a CS package. Even where the skill set (for the front end) is virtually identical, you still can't get your foot in the door because you don't the stuff needed for the back end.

Hell, I can't even get my CV picked up by automotive people because I don't do CAN bus (which nowadays is an off the shelf API to interface into). (Not that this is a big deal, the rates are even lower there)

tim

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking about this. I'm looking at tech proj management as a career option/path but I don't think I'm going to be "allowed" to sit there coding until I'm 55

I'm finding .NET C#/ASP.NET rates pretty good at the moment although I've got 5 years commercial with 20 years in financial services (inc 12 in the business side) working for a financial services client.

It can't last for much longer with younger .NET people including many from Eastern Europe and India etc coming through quickly now to fill posts and potentially reduce rates. Like others I'm concerned that at the next downturn I'm going to have to have some marketable technical skills AND business skills - pref client facing - which luckily I do.

I can see a bottle of Grecian 2000 and the loss of a couple of stone being useful tools plus only disclosing previous career history to make me look (say) late 30s

Comment

Originally posted by boxman
          I can see a bottle of Grecian 2000 and the loss of a couple of stone being useful tools plus only disclosing previous career history to make me look (say) late 30s.
          I need to do the same thing, but for reasons that have nothing to do with my career.
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Ive just been offered the role of European Lead Developer for a US company. **** knows what it is as I'm a tulip programmer. It appears though becuase I understand the business and can get things done Im invaluable!!!

£60k base salary offered. Dunno if I can be bothered.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by boxman
              I can see a bottle of Grecian 2000 and the loss of a couple of stone being useful tools plus only disclosing previous career history to make me look (say) late 30s
              Anyone know how much a hair transplant costs?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
              X