• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Netherlands "Full-Time Contract" advice please.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    "Cost" is not the same as "Value".

Put a higher value on your time than the ticket price into AMS.
    Hmm ... that's always subjective & relative.

If we were talking a £10 difference I'd agree 100%, but when you start talking £80 difference EVERY week ... that adds up.
    Also ... time-wise ... you're talking to the ultimate bookworm ... if I wasn't reading at home, I'd be reading at my destination ... so reading at an airport while in queue is not an issue at all.

Comment

Originally posted by blstr View Post
      Hmm ... that's always subjective & relative.

If we were talking a £10 difference I'd agree 100%, but when you start talking £80 difference EVERY week ... that adds up.
      Also ... time-wise ... you're talking to the ultimate bookworm ... if I wasn't reading at home, I'd be reading at my destination ... so reading at an airport while in queue is not an issue at all.
      You might struggle to find a flat share/room with mostly younger professionals who do this

Nobody’s would want to share with an old boring IT guy Who reads books and does not drink

Also long term ? What happens if you get canned (as often happens) with a days notice, is the risk worth it?

Do you think you will fit in with Dutch culture at work ? Totally different from Uk?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        You might struggle to find a flat share/room with mostly younger professionals who do this

Nobody’s would want to share with an old boring IT guy Who reads books and does not drink

Also long term ? What happens if you get canned (as often happens) with a days notice, is the risk worth it?

Do you think you will fit in with Dutch culture at work ? Totally different from Uk?

Yes, that's true ... I'm gobsmacked at the no. of rentals that specify a maximum upper age of 35 (long sailed, unfortunately!). It makes the available pool smaller, but not non-existent. I'm quite upfront about the fact that I'm quiet and bookish, and it seems there are plenty that don't mind that at all.

If I do get canned at a day's notice then all I lose is whatever notice I've built into the lease contract. There is no way I'm signing something that commits me to a fixed period with no get-out clause ...

Dutch culture? ... I grew up in South Africa (British born, moved there as a child) ... I married an Afrikaans girl. Believe me, Dutch culture is no problem. I can even (with difficulty) make myself understood & am sure I'll pick it up rapidly.

Comment

Yes, that's true ... I'm gobsmacked at the no. of rentals that specify a maximum upper age of 35 (long sailed, unfortunately!). It makes the available pool smaller, but not non-existent. I'm quite upfront about the fact that I'm quiet and bookish, and it seems there are plenty that don't mind that at all.

If I do get canned at a day's notice then all I lose is whatever notice I've built into the lease contract. There is no way I'm signing something that commits me to a fixed period with no get-out clause ...

Dutch culture? ... I grew up in South Africa (British born, moved there as a child) ... I married an Afrikaans girl. Believe me, Dutch culture is no problem. I can even (with difficulty) make myself understood & am sure I'll pick it up rapidly.

Also take into account the effect this will have on your family life, wife suddenly has time to install tinder etc, you go into town, see some red/blue lights you swap a few books for some service

You will arrive home late Friday knackered, Sunday afternoon you will be heading off again

Comment

if your wife works you should swap weekends, i.e. one weekend you go to her the other she comes to you
            if she doesn't work why not move with you? This could give you some tax advantages as well

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Also take into account the effect this will have on your family life, wife suddenly has time to install tinder etc, you go into town, see some red/blue lights you swap a few books for some service

You will arrive home late Friday knackered, Sunday afternoon you will be heading off again

LOL ... Yeah, I don't think we inhabit the same world!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                if your wife works you should swap weekends, i.e. one weekend you go to her the other she comes to you
                if she doesn't work why not move with you? This could give you some tax advantages as well
                That's a different kettle of fish ... my daughter has special needs & can't be shifted from her current college, that would set her back years. Also my loving wife has dug deep roots in our little village, I wouldn't have the heart to uproot her again (moving from South Africa was traumatic for her ...).

No, that's not happening.

The swapping weekend thing we've already discussed & it'll definitely be happening once I find an actual apartment, but that'll only happen when/if this thing proves itself.

Comment

That's a different kettle of fish ... my daughter has special needs & can't be shifted from her current college, that would set her back years. Also my loving wife has dug deep roots in our little village, I wouldn't have the heart to uproot her again (moving from South Africa was traumatic for her ...).

No, that's not happening.

The swapping weekend thing we've already discussed & it'll definitely be happening once I find an actual apartment, but that'll only happen when/if this thing proves itself.
                  Ok the daughter is an element you hadn't told us about before, but makes me wonder even more why you would do this

Comment

Hi OP, I worked all over Europe on contracts including NL, what everyone here is telling you is right, but I think you must try it yourself, I started off like you proposed, i.e the weekly commute, saved on flights and accommodation etc, then after a few months it took it toll on me, am not saying you must not do what you think is economical but when (not if) you get tiered, do allow yourself to take a more comfortable (easier route) flights, or skip a weekend flight, and perhaps better accommodation. The less tiered you are the happier you will be at your job and at weekends when you see your family.

So my suggestion is just to book flights/accommodation for the first month, until you find your feet, see how you can really cope with the travel, then make changes and tweaks to make your life easier....
                    In the past I made the mistake of travelling from further airports, and getting cheaper slightly far accommodations, but as I said I ended up being very tiered and unhappy in both my job and my weekends home due to exhaustion.

So go for it, its nice to have new experiences ( most people in this forum will never encourage anyone to go away for a contract- not sure why.. but I suppose each one judges from their own point of view) but do not make long term plans / commitments with travel and accommodation until you are there and tried it.

Comment

Working...
                    X