• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 x contract offers. How to bide time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you all for your envaluable FB.

Let me provide some further info as discussions have been ongoing as well as responding to some of your questions.

Location for both roles are in London. So commute time is similar for both. In time there will be scope to WFH.

Both clients are great on the CV i feel but client 1 i believe has greater global presence as its a large consultancy. If all things were equal i think i would go for client 1 as it's a close one.

I spoke with Client 1 told them about the counter offer and the attractiveness for me of an early start with client 2. i.e. next week. They have gone back and looked to get the rate increased. So, subject to one final signature for approval they're going to be closer to client 2 offer. i.e. different of £50 Per day. Only caveat apparently now is that with the higher rate this contract is now 6 months. If they want to extend they need additional approval where as with the previous lower rate it apparently was easier for them to auto renew. On the same token she did also add that if however if the duration of the programme is longer then theyre likely to get me extended as it doesn't make sense to stop the contract after 6 months.

So in summary, client 1 brand is slightly better, i'm leaning towards them as they've been clear during the process. No agencies here to as i contacted them direct. However, 6 months term but you never know on extension. couple of weeks for vetting which is a drag as i want to start working ASAP. It's costing me!

Client 2 allows me to start next week, better day rate (£50 PD better) and according to agent they tend to extend and keep good contractors. Negative is my previous experience to date. They said yes couple of months ago and i've been waiting and now acted once i have an offer. Plus they've given me an initial short term contract with rolling until the project i've been identified for is ready. My fear is if they have further delays in this project, will they can me after a month. Agent said no they'll keep you rolling on another project.

Hope this helps. Thanks again for your valuable FB. Really appreciated.

Comment

What’s FB?

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
        What’s FB?
        Feedback

Comment

I personally wouldn't worry about the extension. If you are good and they need you, they'll find a way to extend you. If you are good and they don't need you, they might offer you a permie job but they won't extend. If you aren't good, you've got bigger problems.

Sure, being a little more expensive may make it easier for them to decide not to extend, but if you are good you'll be able to find something else. And the extra fifty quid a day for six months should ease the pain of that, unless you just waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by scoobs View Post
            Plus they've given me an initial short term contract with rolling until the project i've been identified for is ready. My fear is if they have further delays in this project, will they can me after a month. Agent said no they'll keep you rolling on another project.
            Not sure if I totally understood you, but doesn't this sound a lot riskier and more likely to go wrong than just signing a single contract and carrying it out? Also the multiple project stuff - feels a little permie-esque to me, do you think Client 2 might be thinking of the role as more of a Bum on Seat temp worker role than a contractor role?

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
              Not sure if I totally understood you, but doesn't this sound a lot riskier and more likely to go wrong than just signing a single contract and carrying it out? Also the multiple project stuff - feels a little permie-esque to me, do you think Client 2 might be thinking of the role as more of a Bum on Seat temp worker role than a contractor role?
              they have one project in mind as part of a wider programme of work...which we've spoken about...budget signed but they're not ready for me yet, apparently! however due to the fact i have this other offer i think i've forced their hand and to avoid loosing me they are looking to assign me onto another project temporarily UNTIL the one which i have been hired for gets the greenlight to start...so yes, there is a bum on seat element until we're ready....thats how i understand it

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                I personally wouldn't worry about the extension. If you are good and they need you, they'll find a way to extend you. If you are good and they don't need you, they might offer you a permie job but they won't extend. If you aren't good, you've got bigger problems.

Sure, being a little more expensive may make it easier for them to decide not to extend, but if you are good you'll be able to find something else. And the extra fifty quid a day for six months should ease the pain of that, unless you just waste it.
                i'm of the same thinking tbh...from the conversations we've had, she's mentioned that the last person (also a contractor)was here close to 2yrs we're looking for someone beyond the 6 months as we have a number of projects, solutions to deploy....providing as you say, i don't screw up, can't see them binning me after the initial 6

Comment

I'd treat the bridging contract as inside IR35, personally, and pay my salary and pension contributions out of it.

It probably should be inside IR35, and it isn't going to cost you a lot of money to treat it that way. If you treat it as outside the tax man may just think you are taking the mick if you ever get inspected, and then you've got trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    I'd treat the bridging contract as inside IR35, personally, and pay my salary and pension contributions out of it.

It probably should be inside IR35, and it isn't going to cost you a lot of money to treat it that way. If you treat it as outside the tax man may just think you are taking the mick if you ever get inspected, and then you've got trouble.
                    thanks. my accountant will look at this.

Comment

Working...
                    X