• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for experienced advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    what Guesstimator said.

My typical end of contract time line is:

4) 5 days out. Start handover and applying for roles.

When renewals have been offered step one is normally enough. Only once did I get to step 4, however that was a direct contract and the guy who needed to sign off the paperwork was abroad for Christmas.
    5) secure new role at a healthy rate increase. Say so long and thanks for all the fish to the Client.
    6) Client panics and offers to increase rate to match.
    =fish.

Comment

It depends on the client - some are good and some are more approachable than others.

It's easier to broach the subject if you're working away from home/have a public transport commute - "My contract ends on xxx and I tend to book travel/accommodation x weeks in advance. Is there intention to extend?" Keep it simple, to the point and polite.

Even if there is an affirmative to that, consider yourself as on the market from xxx+1 until you get the extension signed off and in your inbox.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        It depends on the client - some are good and some are more approachable than others.

It's easier to broach the subject if you're working away from home/have a public transport commute - "My contract ends on xxx and I tend to book travel/accommodation x weeks in advance. Is there intention to extend?" Keep it simple, to the point and polite.

Even if there is an affirmative to that, consider yourself as on the market from xxx+1 until you get the extension signed off and in your inbox.
        Most clients wouldn't give a "flying fig" about your want to book travel/accommodation in advance; they certainly wouldn't make a renewal decision based on making your life easier

I agree it will make you "feel" like you have a "good reason" to have the conversation - but that's a permie view of the world. Put on your business owner hat - your desire is to ensure continuity of income for the company this alone is enough of a reason to have a renewal conversation at 4 weeks before the end of cover (earlier for a longer gig - if you are renewing for a year I'd say 6 weeks before end is the right time to start discussions)

Comment

Working...
        X