• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 mth rule - same distance travelled

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This does not sound like a trivial difference. It is not two tube stop away. I would claim. Accountants can be risk adverse because they are looking after their interests if it all goes wrong.

Comment

How many times has HMRC judged someone to have broken the 24 month rule when moving to a new contract in a nearby location?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        This does not sound like a trivial difference. It is not two tube stop away. I would claim. Accountants can be risk adverse because they are looking after their interests if it all goes wrong.
        Thing is, the OP refuses to say how far apart they are or how he is getting in to them. He has admitted it's the same company and that they are big.

Let's put it like this...
        If the OP took a job in Newbury and for the first stint of his contract he drove along the A34 and parked in the head office car park and worked on the reception desk of the head office.
        He then gets offered a job answering the phone on the helpdesk, located in the building beside reception. As part of the new job he is required to park in the contractors car park (not far from the A34) and take the free bus to the office.
        The difference between the two car parks is 20 mins. There's a free bus, and he ends up in (give or take 50 metres) the same place.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That's not the wording they use in the guidance....

And it particularly mentions...

OP uses exactly that wording when he said the following.. In fact he said it twice.

I base my approach on the following sticky. Though I haven't re-read it all to see if anything significant has changed in the rules since the sticky was stuck.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-nutshell.html

Only a mug would base their decision on whether to claim or not on the client's 'promise' of work without a contract to back it up. I don't expect them to be that accurate at project management or that likely to stick to their initial plans across multiple years, or that likely I'd stay around beyond month 23 if the rate wasn't uplifted to compensate for lack of expenses beyond that point.

It all may soon become moot anyway if the current public sector IR35 rules roll out to private sector and travel expenses are much harder to claim.
          Last edited by Hobosapien; 18 September 2018, 09:44.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Thing is, the OP refuses to say how far apart they are or how he is getting in to them. He has admitted it's the same company and that they are big.

Let's put it like this...
            If the OP took a job in Newbury and for the first stint of his contract he drove along the A34 and parked in the head office car park and worked on the reception desk of the head office.
            He then gets offered a job answering the phone on the helpdesk, located in the building beside reception. As part of the new job he is required to park in the contractors car park (not far from the A34) and take the free bus to the office.
            The difference between the two car parks is 20 mins. There's a free bus, and he ends up in (give or take 50 metres) the same place.
            In which case I have no sympathy.

Comment

I had several consecutive contracts in Central London with different companies, all within a 2 mile radius, in 5 years.

My accountant said no more travel expenses after 24 months as the distance between the clients was not far enough.

Comment

Working...
              X