• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can the company i contract for cut my contract short because i wouldnt go full time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    The reason he shouldn't take it is he is a contractor. The permie pay is going to be much less and even on probation period the notice period will be putting blockers in the way. Even with a week or 2 weeks he could be doing himself out of immediate start gigs.

If he wants to be a contractor then be one. Leave the gig and look for another one like we all do. Don't dick about going permie and jumping ship when a contract comes up.
    Agreed. IN 2000 i was lucky to make the jump from perm to contract, client was willing to wait 4 weeks to work my notice and agents were probably willing to wait back then.
    2007 i went permie to retrain into .net, after 2 years I wanted to get back into contracting, struggled as any agent would not entertain anyone with a 4 week notice period, even telling the agent i was available at 2 weeks notice as I had leave to take, they were still not interested.
    2009 I was put on notice to be made redundant, as soon I told the agents I had a specific end date, I had loads of interviews and offers.

Comment

It's not good but this is contracting for you, we don't have any rights and will be binned at the earliest opportunity.

A few years I wasn't renewed as the company brought a 'testing guru' in to do a talk and everybody was expected to attend and it was for a whole day, so this was a day I couldn't bill for. I refused to go as didn't see what I would get out of it and also it doesn't look good from an IR35 perspective. They said if I didn't go then I wouldn't be renewed and they followed through with their threat. No regrets from me though, not getting bullied by anyone.

Comment

Working...
      X