• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor CV

Howdy,

I've been contracting for about 8 years and was perm for 10 before that. I have had 4 perm roles and 11 contracts in that 18 years. My CV has a paragraph (header with role info/ company/ location etc, and 3/4 bullet points of key roles/ tasks ).

Problem with this is that my CV is now 5 pages. I'm concerned that my CV is too big, but do not want to chop too much out. My roles have all been around SQL, but in a number of different environments and using various skills and elements.

How do other people manage their CV's?

Thanks

Originally posted by MajesticBadger View Post
    List the key projects with details, which are most relevant to the role you're applying for.

Add a line that additional details of other roles available on request or at interview or on LinkedIn.
    I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

I've got a generic 3-pager with the best bits and a 6-pager with everything that I'll save a copy of and chop down for more niche roles.

Keep it achievement based, focus on delivering, helping, training, mentoring, etc - showing that you're a delivering contractor that adds value.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Howdy,

I've been contracting for about 8 years and was perm for 10 before that. I have had 4 perm roles and 11 contracts in that 18 years. My CV has a paragraph (header with role info/ company/ location etc, and 3/4 bullet points of key roles/ tasks ).

Problem with this is that my CV is now 5 pages. I'm concerned that my CV is too big, but do not want to chop too much out. My roles have all been around SQL, but in a number of different environments and using various skills and elements.

Thanks
        You need to keep a few things in mind such as:
        1. If you're lucky that your CV is even read, it will be for 30-45 seconds on a first pass.
        2. No one will read your 5 page CV in full, 2, possibly 3 pages maximum should be enough.
        3. The purpose of a CV is to get a first interview not tell your whole life story. Keep it brief.
        4. Focus on tangible quantifiable achievements and benefits delivered not roles and tasks. That will help to keep it short and also give much more context to your experience and ability.
        5. People are unlikely to ask you what you were doing 18 years ago which is how far your CV stretches.
        6. Technology and business changes so fast, is the work you did more than 10 years ago really still relevant to what you want to do now?

I've had 10 perm jobs plus 12 clients between two management consultancies and about to start a 5th contract, all over a 29 year period and my CV is still just 2-3 pages.

There is plenty of advice online, you can also search for specific CV examples and tips e.g. SQL CV tips.

Comment

Mine is 3 pages

page 1: about me, skills, strengths, latest role
          page 2: other roles
          page 3: tools, frameworks, education

Comment

Howdy,

Thanks
            I use a format very similar to that espoused by the CV & Interview advisors who have given free webinars via CUK in the past. Basically, for every role/contract you've had, keep two sets of notes, one a brief executive summary and the other slightly longer and more detailed.

Then, for each contract you apply for, create a custom CV just for that contract by taking the 3 most relevant of your past contracts (irrespective of age/date) and put these with the detailed summaries on the first page under a heading of "Career Highlights". Add all of your other past contracts, in chronological order, on the 2nd/3rd etc page with only the title and the brief summary for each under a heading of "Career Chronology". Complete the other sections of your CV as you'd see fit.

For the descriptions for each contract, as others have said, focus on delivery. You can use the STAR technique to format your prose.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              I use a format very similar to that espoused by the CV & Interview advisors who have given free webinars via CUK in the past. Basically, for every role/contract you've had, keep two sets of notes, one a brief executive summary and the other slightly longer and more detailed.

Then, for each contract you apply for, create a custom CV just for that contract by taking the 3 most relevant of your past contracts (irrespective of age/date) and put these with the detailed summaries on the first page under a heading of "Career Highlights". Add all of your other past contracts, in chronological order, on the 2nd/3rd etc page with only the title and the brief summary for each under a heading of "Career Chronology". Complete the other sections of your CV as you'd see fit.

For the descriptions for each contract, as others have said, focus on delivery. You can use the STAR technique to format your prose.
              Is this wise, considering that agents are getting 300+ CV's for roles advertised?

Comment

Originally posted by whirlpool View Post
                Is this wise, considering that agents are getting 300+ CV's for roles advertised?
                Surely you answered your own question there.

With contracts all you have to do is prove you are the best person for that particular gig. That means fitting the criteria exactly. They don't look for good all round people. They want a body to do that piece of work. Best way to prove that is a custom CV that shows the agent you are the one.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

Why do you have a CV? You have no legal obligation whatsoever to provide one to a potential client in a B2B relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by NCOTBAC View Post
                    Surely you answered your own question there.

With contracts all you have to do is prove you are the best person for that particular gig. That means fitting the criteria exactly. They don't look for good all round people. They want a body to do that piece of work. Best way to prove that is a custom CV that shows the agent you are the one.
                    Funny that as i still get interviews by waiting for agents to call based on them searching for me/my skills on job boards from a Generic CV. My Generic CV is also picked up by agents from adverts that i applied for. I have tried the tailoring approach before and its very likely that i will try it again if it improves the hit rate. BTW I had a call today from an agent offering a C++ Programming job - I am a tester.

Comment

Working...
                    X