• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting issues with Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds a little like you've been very comfortable and are a bit part and parcel so now someone has come along who want's his pound of flesh from the contractors and you've been too comfortable so it's a bit of a shock.

Does also sound like he's a bit of a bum hole as well to be fair but still...

been told how important my work is to the client.
    Who told you and if it was the agent you didn't really believe this did you?

Now because of these my Integrity and Competence has been questioned
    The only thing that should be questioned is why do you have these an why does it matter? You are a contractor working for money. Your invoice is all. Half of us would be permanently on the bench if those two attributes were important
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you can talk the talk and walk the walk then you let him know indirectly that if you walk away, the loss is for the project and not to yourself.

In my current project the PM asked if I can work during Bank Holiday. I was glad to help the client as I had no plans. I always do during urgent timelines, fixes etc. After all, we are there to help them succeed.
      However, it became a habit for him sending work related messages after core hours since I offered to work during bank holiday. Within next few days, I blocked his number (it was my personal mobile) and next day he wanted to know if I had received his message. I told him that I had blocked his number...lol as his messages are reaching my mobile either late night or early morning. He took my message and stopped his message ....

Comment

When he (the new PM) schedules meetings outside of core hours(!?), just send a decline response via Outlook (seeing as these types like to schedule meetings this way).

There's nothing worse than some arsehole PM who thinks he \ she can make contractors jump through hoops at their every whim. You have to train them in the contractors way.

If they refuse to comply or grow a titty lip at your actions then you're only real option is to leave because you will find out of core hour meetings become just the tip of the iceberg.

Having a 'friendly chat' will only work if he \ she is 'friendly' which they do not appear to be. As for 'has he \ she got a reason' for the scheduling, yes, he \ she wants to ingratiate himself \ herself with their boss and show you who is in charge!

Did I say I was retired? This weather is really great although I do not arise until 9:15am in the mornings now.

Comment

In situations like these what really pays off is if you can remain in a contractor mindset and not become some permietractor dependent on the client.

i.e. Ensure each contract is not one you are unable to walk away from so when tulip happens you can walk or start looking for other work without being scared of losing your job or looking bad at performance reviews for a 1% pay rise or career ladder prospects. You will also feel more free to stick to your deliverables in a reasonable way, declining anything that feels too unreasonable without proper discussion of why that approach is necessary. If it's just some newbie trying to make his presence felt then don't get dragged into their games. You're only stuck at the client for however long your notice period is and sometimes that is zero. With a big enough 'warchest' to fall back on stress is for permies.

Ignore any chat unless it's directly to you, it may all just be permie chinese whisper bollox around the water cooler. Worry what those responsible for your contract and timesheet approval are saying, they're the only ones that matter as long as you're delivering what was agreed and can prove it by keeping notes/emails of everything that happens. You can then hand them over if you decide to walk, to backup your reasons why, which may prevent you from totally burning the bridge with the client so could potentially return in future when this PM has moved on.

If it's all not that bad then just 'keep calm and carry on invoicing'.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
          X