• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Call to NATO contractors abroad Belguim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call to NATO contractors abroad Belguim

I have read a number of posts about contracting abroad and especially Belguim. I realise this question has been answered numerous times but I just wanted to know if their are any different rules when contracting for NATO?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I am being told different from a very well known UK agency that supplies NATO and other Gov agencies.

They are telling me they have 100's of contractors that work for NATO that are all running through their UK Ltd Company without any issues. I can only assume this is because they are either under the radar or have not been caught up with yet?

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has contracted for NATO.

I also have heard through a friend that they know of two contractors that had to register their company (non UK but still within EU?) with the local commune so they can contract for 6mnths but pay tax back home. They were told to do this by NATO before they receive ID badges. I do wonder if that is not totally correct and it was in fact they had to register themselves not their company.

Any thoughts on this would greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

checkerman

Originally posted by checkerman View Post
    I have read a number of posts about contracting abroad and especially Belguim. I realise this question has been answered numerous times but I just wanted to know if their are any different rules when contracting for NATO?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I am being told different from a very well known UK agency that supplies NATO and other Gov agencies.

They are telling me they have 100's of contractors that work for NATO that are all running through their UK Ltd Company without any issues. I can only assume this is because they are either under the radar or have not been caught up with yet?

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has contracted for NATO.

I also have heard through a friend that they know of two contractors that had to register their company (non UK but still within EU?) with the local commune so they can contract for 6mnths but pay tax back home. They were told to do this by NATO before they receive ID badges. I do wonder if that is not totally correct and it was in fact they had to register themselves not their company.

Any thoughts on this would greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

checkerman
    Not actually done the work but have been contacted loads of times over a number of years by a number of different recruitment companies about it so I looked into it to make sure I wasn't missing something. Go read up on LIMOSA (you do have a degree, right? - I don't and so I can't work there - I spent a long time looking for a way round it but I couldn't see one). Look at the sticky thread on here. And realise that it's about 56% tax (no, not retention, I mean that as the approx amount they'll take). NATO rates are usually comically low anyway, even before you consider the tax burden.

As a rule of thumb - you don't get to pay tax back home while you as the sole director are working in Belgium (or <insert other EU country here>, for that matter). The Belgium tax man can catch up with you years later and use HMRC to chase you for the debt under European law. Sorry to break bad news but at least I'll save you the time I wasted looking at it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I have read all the posts and understand it would be around 50% retention but the agency are telling me different. That said it wouldn't be the first time a recruiter has stretched the truth! I also don't have a degree.

What I was hoping for is someone who is actually doing the work and clarifying what they are doing though I guess no one is going to want to say they are operating outside the correct procedures.

I am also surprised the agency are saying one thing when surely they must know the the tax situation. Especially as they provide so many contractors to NATO.

Thanks

Comment

At Shape you need to register with the commune before security give you a badge. Queuing every morning for access will soon get tiring.

Far better to get a fixed term employment. Their salaries are tax free.

Comment

Originally posted by checkerman View Post
          What I was hoping for is someone who is actually doing the work and clarifying what they are doing though I guess no one is going to want to say they are operating outside the correct procedures.
          OK, if you are working in Belgium - doesn't matter who for - the first thing you need to sort out it your LIMOSA.

Have you got that sorted yet?

Next, it is perfectly possible to work legally in Belgium using your own UK Ltd. But to know if you can do that with your contract would require someone to go through your contract and check the details of it.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Next, it is perfectly possible to work legally in Belgium using your own UK Ltd. But to know if you can do that with your contract would require someone to go through your contract and check the details of it.
            That's caught my attention - what exact what kind of 'someone' this would be?

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
              That's caught my attention - what exact what kind of 'someone' this would be?
              Initially someone with a basic understanding of what the contract says - does it specify where the work is carried out, does it specify the amount of time on site in Belgium, etc.

That doesn't require a specially qualified person to make an initial assessment. If the contract is 100% on site in an office in Belgium for a contract signed with an organisation headquartered in Belgium, etc, then you will probably fall into Belgian tax. But without reading the contract, that's not a 100% certainty.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                If the contract is 100% on site in an office in Belgium for a contract signed with an organisation headquartered in Belgium, etc, then you will probably fall into Belgian tax. But without reading the contract, that's not a 100% certainty.
                Got you - however it is worth adding that my understanding is that 'some' WFH doesn't change that situation.

Comment

I get contacted quite regularly about NATO roles (at least twice per quarter). They all pay less in € than working locally in GBP. You are also expected to cover your own expenses.

Waste of time.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                    I get contacted quite regularly about NATO roles (at least twice per quarter). They all pay less in € than working locally in GBP. You are also expected to cover your own expenses.

Waste of time.
                    Same...First time I got a call was the Monday after the terrorist bombing in Brussels to work at the NATO HQ...in Brussels. I politely declined. Besides the rate was way lower than I get in the UK without the whole expenses thing, and I don't think I'm overpaid...for a contractor I mean

Comment

Working...
                    X