• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much was your warchest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£0. Just worked permie until I found a contract that was prepared to wait my notice period. They do exist.

Comment

Who needs a warchest?

Live fast, screw the client, claim benefits...
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Who needs a warchest?

Live fast, screw the client, claim benefits...
        You really do bring much of the grief you receive on here on yourself, don't you?
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Who needs a warchest?

Replace keyboards, screw the disguised employer, claim benefits...
          FTFT

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
            You really do bring much of the grief you receive on here on yourself, don't you?
            He or she loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              He or she loves it.
              Not all of it; when it gets too tough he/she claims it's offensive then cries off to the mods leading to 'infractions'...
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Interesting thread.

Personally, I started off with about 1 month, however, got the first contract immediately, which lasted 12 months, during which time I only took the same amount as my previous permie job. At the end of that, I had around 12 - 24 months of funds.

I've maintained that for the past 18 years and my "warchest" is completely separate from my other investments & savings.

I am a bit of worrier when it comes to money, so to give me peace of mind I have to have a plan. With the help of Excel I know that if my income just stopped dead tomorrow, I'd be able to go 6 months without making any lifestyle changes, six months with some moderate cut-backs and six months with some fairly drastic cutbacks.

If I ever get to stage #3 it's time to look for a permie job.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

If I ever get to stage #3 it's time to look for a permie job.
                  I also find it interesting how permie-to-contractor is considered much more difficult than contractor-to-permie.

Like, finding a permie job is the last option but "hey no problem I'll get a permie job in no time".

It's not like this in real life

Companies do look at you weird when you're a seasoned contractor and you're looking for a permanent job. Most of them are worried you'd just dump them as soon as you get your hands on a new contract.

Comment

My great UK monthly pensions is my war chest!

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
                      I also find it interesting how permie-to-contractor is considered much more difficult than contractor-to-permie.

Like, finding a permie job is the last option but "hey no problem I'll get a permie job in no time".

It's not like this in real life

Companies do look at you weird when you're a seasoned contractor and you're looking for a permanent job. Most of them are worried you'd just dump them as soon as you get your hands on a new contract.
                      It depends on how you position it and the type of company you apply for. I know people who have switched between the two easily enough.

These days the "Company Lifer" is much more of a rarity. People move around jobs far more frequently than they did 20 - 30 years ago. So being a contractor is much less of a novelty.

Having said that I've been living entirely off my "Plan B" for the last 4 years and not had a contract OR permie job. If things go titsup for TTA Enterprises then I'll be looking for a contract after 12 months and the permie job after 18.

"Well Mr TTA, I see you are a failed entrepreneur, why do you think we should give you the contract?"

Comment

Working...
                      X