• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That old chestnut - contractors and oncall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
    So you're equating the way that you contract as being a permanent employee. Do you do the same for outside IR35 roles or is it just for this one?
    Nope generally not for outside IR35 roles...

Tony - I see what you're getting at and, of course, you're right. First whiff of client wanting something like this you point him to agent and say "well lets start to talk" - in an ideal world. But, we don;t live in an ideal world and IMHO contractors who act like this don't last too long.

Plumber analogy - Plumber is fitting new bath for you. You ask him if hes got 5 minutes to sort out a leaky tap. Plumber A does it and you might offer him £10 for a drink. Plumber B refuses and says you have to phone his head office and get a proper quote. Which plumber do you use next time?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

One piece of advice for anyone considering doing what I've done. Make sure you sort out what happens if you get called and there are extra hours involved.

Client may assume the deal for on call includes time worked too. Contract may indicate PWD which means you don't get paid extra strictly speaking but my argument is theres nothing in contract for on call either.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X