• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked to work considerably longer hours to hit a deadline

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    I had this at an interview many moons ago, the client mentioned they expected overtime, as it was an hourly rate contract I was more that happy to oblige , so long as everything is up front I don't see the problem.
    In that case it's not called 'overtime', just 'time'.

Overtime implies, IMO, either more pay or no pay for the extra hours.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      +1 to the "on occasion, if absolutely necessary" comments, and also if I broke something important.
      IR35 problem there? As a supplier, if you break something you need to fix it at your own expense, not charge the client for the extra work?
      Best 4g signal is in
      [ ] Trap 1
      [X] Trap 2
      [ ] Trap 3

Comment

Repeat after me:

"How will I be compensated?"

It's like garlic to a vampire.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLoveBucket View Post
          IR35 problem there? As a supplier, if you break something you need to fix it at your own expense, not charge the client for the extra work?
          I was referring to working longer hours unpaid.

If I was being paid overtime already to work longer, then I'd already be there :-)

Comment

Originally posted by MrLoveBucket View Post
            I wouldn't have thought so - or at least it would depend on your line of work, I expect developers to break things (Preferably not in live systems), I also expect there to be bugs in new systems or new features added to new systems which will inevitably slip through testing and show up months down the line.

I wouldnt expect a client to come to me and say - you're fixing bugs today so we're no paying you.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
              I wouldn't have thought so - or at least it would depend on your line of work, I expect developers to break things (Preferably not in live systems), I also expect there to be bugs in new systems or new features added to new systems which will inevitably slip through testing and show up months down the line.

I wouldnt expect a client to come to me and say - you're fixing bugs today so we're no paying you.
              Testing has completed successfully, but unpredictable behaviour may occur??

Comment

Working...
              X