• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struggling To Get Contract Role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarcusD View Post
    I've been on the bench for 10 months now. It's starting to get really depressing now. I've also started looking at perm roles, but I can't even get any of those roles because of the gap in my CV and the fact that I have a contract background, they think I might jump ship half way through a role, but I wouldn't. This is the longest I've been on the bench, and I feel like I'm starting to forget a lot of the work I did.
    That's what I said when I went perm. Handed in my notice after four months and went contracting, stealing their client. Mind you, I was working for a nasty piece of work.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Livin' the dream...

Of course the key question is: what are the car parking arrangements?
      No idea, I just landed on the big H and left my chopper there all day. You could say it was the Lynx effect.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I am on the Bench at the moment but only been here for 3 weeks.

Some things to consider

1) Those pesky kids - School Holidays have a knock on effect for sign offs on roles as most senior people have kids.
        2) As those have said "Revise your CV" and even ask for feedback from recruiters. 9 out of 10 will not do it but there are some good ones. I have a few agents I work with who will gladly tell me what they think and I adjust. Remember, you are a Business and they help you get revenue so they are usually best placed to advise.
        3) As a Business - you have products... Data Analyst, Business Analyst, Project Manager, VBA Developer, MI Reporting Analyst. Your CV's are your brochure to your product offering. If you have just thought I have used CVs as a plural by mistake, you are wrong. I have a few CVs that highlight relevant experience.
        4) What is your unique selling point? "I am an enthusiastic Project Manager with 10 years experience" is the same as about 100 other applicants. Tell them what you have done, achievements and how you will make an impact. You are not there to grow in to the role or to set up charity events. You are there because they are in trouble and they need you to get it sorted quickly.

Best of luck on your search!

Comment

Working...
        X