• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struggling To Get Contract Role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saffie8511 View Post
    Okay here it goes, I left my permanent job last year October through redudancy and took a bit of a break and started to look for work again in January.

A brief background, I worked for Lloyds Bank for 10 years the last 6 of which were in project delivery, namely Implementation Management/Project Management and PMO.

It has been difficult and frustrating to say the least, if I apply for 10 roles I hear back from 1 maybe to say sorry the role has been filled or some other form of rejection.

Is it just me, the market, the nature of contracting or all 3? My warchest wont last forever and am seeking advise from the professionals on here, whether it be agencies, people, organisation or even to rip apart my CV.

Any suggestions more than welcome

Thanks
    The market is more competitive than ever. Although Im retired, I still get bombarded with emails from agents asking if Im looking. The roles they are contacting me about were contract roles 12 months ago but are now being advertised as permie.

Whether it is due to companies seeing the enforced public sector rules being lined up for the private sector or something else, I dont knowbut good luck finding your next role whether than be contract or permie.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      Yup those 3 weeks (over xmas) since 1999 almost put me under
      Ooh, hark at me, I've rarely been benched.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Saffie8511 View Post
        London, East London to be precise.
        Are you just applying to roles in London? This might be the problem as yes there are more roles available but also the competition is much stronger.

If you aren't already (and if you're open to it), might be worth looking for contracts elsewhere. Even tulipty boring places...who cares, after all it's just a contract to get you started and get some experience under your belt, Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
          Are you just applying to roles in London? This might be the problem as yes there are more roles available but also the competition is much stronger.

If you aren't already (and if you're open to it), might be worth looking for contracts elsewhere. Even tulipty boring places...who cares, after all it's just a contract to get you started and get some experience under your belt, Good luck!
          Spot on - as a contractor/microconsultancy, you're under the influence of market forces. I've seen contracts in places like Southend that are easily reachable from east London. While you can afford to be a rate/location snob for a short while, real life kicks in with bills to pay and you can't afford to be as choosy without a significant war chest.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Spot on - as a contractor/microconsultancy, you're under the influence of market forces. I've seen contracts in places like Southend that are easily reachable from east London. While you can afford to be a rate/location snob for a short while, real life kicks in with bills to pay and you can't afford to be as choosy without a significant war chest.
            Try Kent, Surrey and Sussex too, all easy to get to from London.
            Last edited by kaiser78; 30 March 2018, 07:22.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              Try Kent, Surrey and Sussex too, all easy to get to from London.
              Depends what part of London you live in.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Oh my days!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Yes Sue. OP is in East London so is doable for them.

Comment

Advice for the OP.

First off, decide what you are.
                    Your prior experience probably covers many realms: you are a skilled project manager, service manager, implementation manager...whatever. In the contracting world your CV can look muddled. Yes you have many skills, but companies are looking for, say, an expert in testing. Your cv needs to shout out that you are an expert in this realm.

Secondly, the UK is a small place. Take any role, irrespective of geography.

Thirdly, be willing to lower your sights massively. If previously you have worked as a senior manager, be willing to take a role as maternity cover for a shopfloor worker. The day rate is what it is and it gets you in the door.

Fourthly, never forget that you are a business. Revenue is king. Lack of revenue is death. Do what is needed to bring money in and if you have an ego, leave it at the door.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      Yes Sue. OP is in East London so is doable for them.
                      Some parts of Surrey and West Sussex aren't doable from East London but Kent and East Sussex plus Essex are. This is why I said it depends where exactly in London the OP. I know some people in NW and SE London who have struggled to get to parts of Surrey let alone West Sussex.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X