• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New boss is a tw@t: Contractors Rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boss is a tw@t: Contractors Rights

hi,

Was wondering if any one can help regarding this. I have just started a new job and have found the boss to be less friendly than i was expecting especially regarding working practices and expectations. What i am asking is can he get rid of me with no reason? And if he can, do I have any recourse if I think the contract has been terminated unfairly?

Cheers,
    Paul.

If you are a contractor...then yes...they can give you the arse for no good reason at all.

Mailman

Comment

The contract you signed between your company and the agency will determine this.
      Usually they will specify the reasons for early termination.
      Usually it is not any old reason but it's amazing how easy it is to claim gross negligence.

My advice would be to have a "clear the air" chat with that boss. Providing you do this in a calm and professional manner and act as a businessman then you should have no problems:-
      Example: You want to take the following 3 days off.
      Do you -
      a)ask if they mind you taking off for 3 days.
      b)tell them you'll be offsite and unavailable for the next 3 days.
      c)say nothing - just disappear.
      d)tell them that you won't be there but will either work offsite or make up for lost time within the fortnight.

In my opinion, only a, b and d are professionally acceptable and only b and d will actually have any chance of succeeding.

Of course the lesson here is that you should have done that before starting the job - something positive to take to your next contract.

Comment

Working...
      X