• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it acceptable to discuss rates with other contractors working at the same client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care to know the rate of other contractors at my current client, nor do i care to share mine with them.

I'm OK to share my rate with friends, who are also contractors when we compare notes about the state of the market.

The only situation where I would discuss my rate at the office is if I suspect the agency is shafting me hard (+20% margin) and want some bargaining power on renewal. In that case I will try to tactfully approach the subject with the person signing my timesheets.

Comment

If I were finishing the contract at the same time, might discuss it during the last day beers. Only to get a sense of market value, and whether I'm pitching myself at the right rate.

Comment

Working...
      X