• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which option ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mods - Red Card ?
    We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      This is a Professional Forum.

Opinions on others parenting choices to go into General (where they will be savaged as appropriate).
      True. Please can the moderator delete all the irrelevant “women should sit at home” replies on this thread? Including mine where I wasted time responding!

Comment

Originally posted by Winterdiva View Post
        True. Please can the moderator delete all the irrelevant “women should sit at home” replies on this thread? Including mine where I wasted time responding!
        Asking mods to delete posts is a bannable offense.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          Millennial?

The interesting thing is you specifically mention 'not leeching' and yet you're probably claiming childcare benefits from people like me who pay their taxes! Laughable.
          Why this unnecessary and unfair attack ?? How do you know she claims childcare benefits ? Wind your neck in pal, she is doing what pretty much every other mother is doing in this country.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Do not take up a role with a consultancy and definitely not with any big4 ( especially one that starts with acc). They will work you to death.

Have you considered part time for the first few years ? If your husband works long hours too, it might be helpful for you to work less since you will be the main person looking after the child. Children bring along all sorts of complexities, they fall sick at the drop of a hat, they will get all sorts of bugs. Working closer to home helps or else your parents will be doing a lot of running around.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              Do not take up a role with a consultancy and definitely not with any big4 ( especially one that starts with acc). They will work you to death.

Have you considered part time for the first few years ? If your husband works long hours too, it might be helpful for you to work less since you will be the main person looking after the child. Children bring along all sorts of complexities, they fall sick at the drop of a hat, they will get all sorts of bugs. Working closer to home helps or else your parents will be doing a lot of running around.
              Sadly, parents don’t live nearby. I’d love to go part time, but due to the nature of my job, I don’t see many options
              Ideally, I want to go back to work after my daughter starts school. But I am terrified of the prospect of being written off. (My friend is really struggling to get back to work after a 2yr break)

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Acc are not one of the big4.
                And refer to my previous post around my experiences of contracting with the big4s - it is not always the case that you are worked to death...

Comment

Originally posted by Winterdiva View Post
                  Sadly, parents don’t live nearby. I’d love to go part time, but due to the nature of my job, I don’t see many options
                  Ideally, I want to go back to work after my daughter starts school. But I am terrified of the prospect of being written off. (My friend is really struggling to get back to work after a 2yr break)
                  Could you not re-train to something that is a bit more family flexible ? Those years whilst children are young are so precious and you will never get them back.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    Acc are not one of the big4.
                    And refer to my previous post around my experiences of contracting with the big4s - it is not always the case that you are worked to death...
                    You're only worked to death if you let them take the mick!

Comment

I would contract where they know you, potentially negotiate a 4 day week or some working from home to reduce the stress of making nursery collection time. It can be done. I negotiated 3 contracts (3 different clients who were all new to me) in a row from 5 days/week to 4 so that I had some extra flexibility when my children were small. If you use a nursery, expect many days to be lost due to your child getting too sick to attend, a childminder may be more willing to take moderately unwell child. Nanny would be best option if you can although that can cause different problems ( a friend was a bit disconcerted to realise she had to pay for her nanny's maternity leave as well as fund a replacement!).

Also suggest your husband looks to do a condensed week / more flexible working and is equally prepared to take leave at short notice to cover sickness. There is no reason why your career should suffer disproportionately. When my son had chickenpox,or one of his multiple ear infections, we tag teamed childcare, each working 2/3rds of a day, one starting early and the other finishing late with a meeting in the city centre to handover the sick child. That way we were both available to work at least part of a day, and minimised time out. Make the most of the nursery years - rude shock to the system going from private nursery hours to school plus wrap around care.

The bonus of contracting rather than perm is that I felt I had no guilt if I did need to take additional time out. I managed my workload and minimised impact on the client but took probably another 5-10 days leave on top of a normal perm allowance.

When they get older (mine are now 10 and 7) it gets easier if they are ill because they can be left to fester in front of the TV with occasional checks Husband and I play top trumps with who has the most important/number of face-to-face meetings but because typically I am doing the morning drop off (he collects from afterschool club), I am more likely to be the one to discover someone isn't fit for school.

HTH.

Comment

Working...
                      X