• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Key gig economy case reaches Supreme Court (Pimlico Plumbers)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    I'd be interested to know how much tax the 'employees' of Pimlico have been paying. I wonder if they're suddenly considered employees if they get a big backdated tax bill?
    Minimal Tax as Charlie Mullins tends to employ EU nationals on low close to zero hour contract rates to boost his profits! He is a serial Remoaner as well because he needs these low paid workers to exploit.

Comment

My recollection of the PP case is that the 'worker' was more than happy to be self employed and take the extra money he got as a result, as PP paid him quite handsomely for this.

But then he got ill, could no longer work, and so has decided he'd rather like both the extra money for being self employed, plus workers rights.

Something like that.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
        But it seemed in line with what the plumbers were saying on the tv show a few years ago.

But agree a large pinch of salt even so
        How much someone earns has nothing to do with classing them as 'employed' ' self employed' or 'worker.' Cockney wide boy mullens was suggesting because his 'workers' earn £150k a year, they are SE. That is palpable nonesense.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          My recollection of the PP case is that the 'worker' was more than happy to be self employed and take the extra money he got as a result, as PP paid him quite handsomely for this.

But then he got ill, could no longer work, and so has decided he'd rather like both the extra money for being self employed, plus workers rights.

Something like that.
          I think someone with even your limited intellect should be able to work out that if someone is told what jobs to do, what hours they have to work, has to wear a uniform and drive a company van amongst other things, that, the 'worker' was more akin to being an 'employee' than being self employed despite any spin the cockney wide boy may want to present.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
            How much someone earns has nothing to do with classing them as 'employed' ' self employed' or 'worker.' Cockney wide boy mullens was suggesting because his 'workers' earn £150k a year, they are SE. That is palpable nonesense.
            Who said it has? I was simply replying to someone who thought they were “woefully underpaid”

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
              Who said it has? I was simply replying to someone who thought they were “woefully underpaid”
              Most gig economy workers end up on less than minimum wage. This is one of the rare examples where someone in a group of workers isn't and so has the funds to take up a legal case.

And to be fair seeing what's happened at the BBC it was probably a good idea to do so to get their badly written contracts and working practices ironed out.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X