• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job in Zurich

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Factor in Zurich is one of the most boring places on earth. Aldershot has more happening....
    Zurich is different to London - Its smaller quieter cleaner and food is definitely more expensive especially restaurants

Comment

Originally posted by fahbb View Post
      I agree. In this moment the only thing I cant figure out is how much will be my saving per month. Of course this depends on my lifestyle. But surely out of 10K net per month, 2K will be for accomodation, 1K to eat, 1 K for everything related to insurance and admin stuff, than it's around 6K CHF saving. AM i totally wrong?
      2k accomodation 1k food 1k admin including basic health insurance is totally fine. I spend about 4K a month and live quite comfortably.

Comment

In Glattbrugg near the airport you can get a small appartment for about CHF 1300, you can also get medical insurance for less than CHF 200. That means you pay the first couple of grand of any bills in any one year, but if you're resident in the UK that's all you need. Even if I was in Switzerland permanently I'd probably do that in any case until as such time as you realise you're paying more in bills than you save in low premiums. Restaurants and bars in Glattbrugg and generally outside Zürich are not expensive

Take home pay is approx 65-70% of gross.

It is possible to have your private pension pot paid out when you leave Switzerland, approx CHF 8000 per year of premiums, however you have to demonstrate that you pay no National Insurance for a minimum period of 3 months after leaving Switzerland, i.e. an official confirmation from HMRC, i.e. take a holiday If you don't you simply get a monthly pension on retirement at 67.

Obviously the lump sum will be taxed under UK tax rules for pension pay outs.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 January 2018, 11:42.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I have lived in Zurich for 6 years, you get used to the cost after a while. I'm in it for the long term though, so not really thinking about what all the francs will do for me in the UK.

Not sure what your skill set is, but I would say the rate is not good. As said before the days when 1100chf was pretty standard probably went in 2011. But 700-800chf should be possible.

Having said that, if you don't have any commitments, and want to try a new country, it might be worth it. I wouldn't count on saving much though.

Comment

Factor in Zurich is one of the most boring places on earth. Aldershot has more happening....
            I completely disagree. I had a blast when I was there. Contrary to popular belief, the Swiss Germans love going out, drinking, eating out, going to clubs, etc. And they're very nice to work with as well. I had 0 complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
              2k accomodation 1k food 1k admin including basic health insurance is totally fine. I spend about 4K a month and live quite comfortably.
              Yeah, this is what I mean. Let's make it practical because otherwise is difficult to understand what does it mean when people saying dont count on savings, it's too expensive, it's not worth doing..
              For me saving 6k or let's say 5, is not bad guys.
              And yes I agree it could be boring, but still it's one of the place with best quality of life on earth. If everybody says like that it shouldnt be that bad.

I raised my questions, because sometimes the geenral idea I get in these forum is that it's not convenient, but it's difficult to understand if we don't put a number next to it. Out of 10K net , 6ish or 5ish K is not so bad saving.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                But you’re not going to get 10K net a month, are you?

You have health insurance as well as the other outgoings.

But since you’re keen and at least one poster agrees with - just make your own decision and go for it.

What have you got to lose?
                Yes, 720 per day gross (all in is around 800), it's 10K net per month.
                Nothing to lose, but all the taxes and stuff to manage to move there. But I dont wanna move if the rate is crap, that's the reason I have posted here

Comment

True.

Aldershot mass brawl between around 15 men | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Working...
                  X