• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract cut short before it even starts...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract cut short before it even starts...

Oi oi!

Well this was a short return to Britain. Just started a contract at three (hutchinson3G) and I've been here three weeks when they decide that they need to do a cut-down their work force (about a third). Line managers didn't know anything about it until the last minute and the changes are at all levels (quite a few directors being shown the door).

I accept that I'm being shown the door is part of the cut and thrust of contracting, (I haven't been told by the agency yet but basically the team I'm in is having a meeting with the PM without me!) but I was just wondering how to paint this one on the CV?

It genuinely seems that the PM didn't know anything until the last minute and in fact the recruit agency were asking me if I knew anyone else that they could place because they have a load of work coming through next year.

TIA

Originally posted by Antman
    Oi oi!

Well this was a short return to Britain. Just started a contract at three (hutchinson3G) and I've been here three weeks when they decide that they need to do a cut-down their work force (about a third). Line managers didn't know anything about it until the last minute and the changes are at all levels (quite a few directors being shown the door).

I accept that I'm being shown the door is part of the cut and thrust of contracting, (I haven't been told by the agency yet but basically the team I'm in is having a meeting with the PM without me!) but I was just wondering how to paint this one on the CV?

It genuinely seems that the PM didn't know anything until the last minute and in fact the recruit agency were asking me if I knew anyone else that they could place because they have a load of work coming through next year.

TIA
    You had a holiday. I wouldn't even bother putting it on the CV, you'll only have to explain over and over what happened; and then the person you're explaining it to won't believe you anyway.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The odd 3-week consultancy here and there is a good thing. It proves you can go in and do small bits of work efficiently. As long as it's in amongst longer stints I can't see any problem.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
        The odd 3-week consultancy here and there is a good thing. It proves you can go in and do small bits of work efficiently. As long as it's in amongst longer stints I can't see any problem.
        I'm with Ruprect. It looks good in theory, but in practice, the man on the other side of the table wont believe you. This "3-week consultancy "would be a hard sell if it were true, but as it made up, I think there is no chance of spinning it into a positive assignment.

tim

Comment

Or change the three weeks to three months on the CV?
          Last edited by Antman; 4 December 2006, 09:08.

Comment

Working...
          X