• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unpaid invoice:- Agency > Umbrella > Me ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpaid invoice:- Agency > Umbrella > Me ?

I'm after some advice!

I've been working through an umbrella company and finished my last contract in mid November. I should have been paid for the work I did that month on 6th Dec but for reasons as yet unknown I did not receive a payment. I left on good terms having given nearly 2 months notice and submitted authorised timesheets for my final 2 weeks therefore I've done everything required of me.

Now as an aside the umbrella company that the agency set me up with have been by far the worst I've ever used, but they assure me they did submit an invoice before the cut-off date for the November payrun.

I've spent the past week emailing the umbrella but zero progress has been made as far as I can tell. The finance dept of the agency are also not returning my emails.

I think I've given the umbrella enough time to at the very least explain what has gone wrong, so before I stop being polite I'm wondering:-

1) Assuming the agency don't pay the umbrella, does this become my problem or should the umbrella pay me regardless?
    2) I've so far avoided contacting the agency directly, should I continue going through the umbrella or just by pass them and try resolving this myself ?

All advice gratefully recieved - thanks.

Originally posted by rm55 View Post
    I'm after some advice!

I've been working through an umbrella company and finished my last contract in mid November. I should have been paid for the work I did that month on 6th Dec but for reasons as yet unknown I did not receive a payment. I left on good terms having given nearly 2 months notice and submitted authorised timesheets for my final 2 weeks therefore I've done everything required of me.

Now as an aside the umbrella company that the agency set me up with have been by far the worst I've ever used, but they assure me they did submit an invoice before the cut-off date for the November payrun.

I've spent the past week emailing the umbrella but zero progress has been made as far as I can tell. The finance dept of the agency are also not returning my emails.

I think I've given the umbrella enough time to at the very least explain what has gone wrong, so before I stop being polite I'm wondering:-

1) Assuming the agency don't pay the umbrella, does this become my problem or should the umbrella pay me regardless?
    2) I've so far avoided contacting the agency directly, should I continue going through the umbrella or just by pass them and try resolving this myself ?

Ask the umbrella for a copy of the invoice. Chase up the agency. Check your contract with the umbrella to see whether you have legal remedy for withholding wages.

Comment

The fact the agency set you up with this umbrella is the first flag..

You would certainly be due minimum wage from the umbrella for the time owed as they were employing you presumably? I guess you just have to keep on them both chasing the agency and the umbrella.

Comment

I'm after some advice!

Given the issues you have had with the brolly do you believe they have actually submitted the timesheet before the cut-off date?

The agency are unlikely to respond to you as their contract is with the brolly.

You need to check your contract with the brolly very carefully, many umbrella contracts will include a "pay when paid clause" that links your payment to receipt of payment from the agency. So if they don't get paid you don't get paid either.

You may have rights as an "employee" of the umbrella but you again need to look at your employment status as outlined in the contract.

Before you do anything else you need to identify any clauses in the contract you have with the umbrella that may have an impact on the situation you describe. Your contract may have any number of clauses that limit your options or oblige you to pursue mediation in the event of a dispute.

In the absence of this information it will be very difficult for anyone to give any meaningful advice beyond keep chasing the brolly.
        The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

I would never accept an umbrella I was forced to use. Agent is getting kickbacks.

Call the umbrella and speak to them.

Let us know what they say.

And name-and-shame.

Comment

Working...
          X