• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent acting dodgy, how would you respond?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    5 hours was considered to count as a full day on one of my past contracts.
    It was written in.
    Not five hours of work I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Sod the clause. Let the agency sue for damages.
      It's unprofessional!

<Snigger>
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
        Humour me, under what scenario would any client agree to regularly pay a full day rate knowing the compactor is only working half a day...
        When the contract is closer to b2b than zero hours temp. The two extremes of 'contracting'.

I know of a service contract where the 3rd party was billing the client for full days when they'd only been on a 15 minute support call that day, as it was what was agreed in the contract. Any interaction resulted in a full day's billing. Kerching.

Of course when the fees started getting ridiculous for the actual service received, some of the management questioned the terms of the contract. I expect whoever agreed and signed it off at the client was either fully incompetent in their position or were taking a backhander, or both.

Never underestimate the incompetence or corruption of 'management'.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
          Humour me, under what scenario would any client agree to regularly pay a full day rate knowing the compactor is only working half a day.
          In every client that I've had.

I never bill by the half day - if I work, I bill for the day; if I don't work, I don't bill for the day. It's a fairly simple rule to follow.

In my last permie job, we closed early on Christmas Eve / last working day before Christmas, and fully expected the contractors to invoice for the full day.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've done this several times. They say clients shouldn't discuss with the company what they are paying but most will if your rapport is good and they liked me.

I was on £450 per day and i found out i was getting charged out at £600 pd - it was a niche 'ish' IT contract. To me the recruitment companies are pimps simple as that.

When contract renewal came out, the recruitment guy said do you want to renew (with glee)? - i said well I've been looking about and RC people are ringing up about contracts back home which is cheaper for me thus I'll be on more money due to living at home. I said i wanted another £50 a day and they ummed/ahhed and came back with £25 i said sorry its borderline now, eventually i had to fill in some bulltulip form about my skills (playing their game) and they came back and agreed to pay £50 more a day so i was on £50 a more a day for 6 month, contract was extended 3 times after the second i never asked for more money.

As above it'll generally come out of their cut, this recruitment guy (who the company wasn't over keen on) went back the company and asked if they were willing to pay £50 more a day!!! - i specifically told him not do this beforehand as it wont look good and he will come across negatively. I don't have to tell you what happened and they didn't use that recruitment company again.

I feel the above is basic negotiating skills, they want you on their books and even if they decline/call your bluff give some BS excuse about liking the job etc and stay.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Admanirv View Post
              I've done this several times. They say clients shouldn't discuss with the company what they are paying but most will if your rapport is good and they liked me.

I was on £450 per day and i found out i was getting charged out at £600 pd - it was a niche 'ish' IT contract. To me the recruitment companies are pimps simple as that.

When contract renewal came out, the recruitment guy said do you want to renew (with glee)? - i said well I've been looking about and RC people are ringing up about contracts back home which is cheaper for me thus I'll be on more money due to living at home. I said i wanted another £50 a day and they ummed/ahhed and came back with £25 i said sorry its borderline now, eventually i had to fill in some bulltulip form about my skills (playing their game) and they came back and agreed to pay £50 more a day so i was on £50 a more a day for 6 month, contract was extended 3 times after the second i never asked for more money.

As above it'll generally come out of their cut, this recruitment guy (who the company wasn't over keen on) went back the company and asked if they were willing to pay £50 more a day!!! - i specifically told him not do this beforehand as it wont look good and he will come across negatively. I don't have to tell you what happened and they didn't use that recruitment company again.

I feel the above is basic negotiating skills, they want you on their books and even if they decline/call your bluff give some BS excuse about liking the job etc and stay.

Cheers
              I have had most hassle with expenses. Travel agreed at interview, subject to expenses being paid. My contract with agency specifically has expenses at T & M additional to day rate. But agency contract with end client includes expenses in the day rate (I didnt know this bit till after I started). Agency tries to wiggle out of paying blaming the client. Fortunately I was working directly for the IT Director and we both ganged up on the agency, could have been nasty if I had been lower down the food chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Admanirv View Post

Cheers
                Have to disagree here, when i have negotiated more on a renewal and this is with several agencies because i have been privy to their mark up in almost all scenarios they go to the client and ask for it rather than allow from their cut and in a few situations this did cause a few issues with client co.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  In every client that I've had.

I never bill by the half day - if I work, I bill for the day; if I don't work, I don't bill for the day. It's a fairly simple rule to follow.

In my last permie job, we closed early on Christmas Eve / last working day before Christmas, and fully expected the contractors to invoice for the full day.
                  I have billed half day if it is me who needs the rest of the day for my own need. If it is a client thing like chrismas eve, they don't mind me billing full day.

Comment

Working...
                  X