• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My job title is a bit different than what I do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My job title is a bit different than what I do

Hi everyone,
    I joined my company as my first job 2 years ago as "Claims Executive". 6 months ago, my manager assigned me to be a "Claims Team Leader". However, because there is no official job title in the company as a Claims Team Leader, my job title only changed internally within the company.
    I have my job title in my CV and Linkedin as Claims Team Leader because that's what I do, even though if I issue an employment certificate from HR, it will show as "Claims Executive" as per the system.
    Now that I have applied to another company, with my CV showing as "Claims Team Leader", and I got invited to an interview. What should I tell them when I get my offer and they ask me for the employment certificate? Would giving them references (my 2 line managers contact info) be sufficient or they would think my CV is vague?

I actually never thought of this problem until I got invited to an interview.

This is a contracting site I am afraid. We probably best placed to help with permie problems.

EDIT : Isn't one of the main differences between a Claims Exec and a Team Leader is the TL can make decisions?

I'd speak to HR again to see if they can make a manual change. I find it very hard to believe they won't be able to create a role for a TL if they need one. I guess you didn't get a pay increase for doing it either then?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 December 2017, 15:52.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I got a gig where they went through my CV for last 5 years and compared what I said with what client said. I was then asked to explain the differences.

Don't worry about the interview. And if you get asked, just be honest.

Good luck!

Comment

What Brillo said. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          This is a contracting site I am afraid. We probably best placed to help with permie problems.

EDIT : Isn't one of the main differences between a Claims Exec and a Team Leader is the TL can make decisions?

I'd speak to HR again to see if they can make a manual change. I find it very hard to believe they won't be able to create a role for a TL if they need one. I guess you didn't get a pay increase for doing it either then?
          Yes I didn't get pay increase or anything, im just making decisions & doing other tasks to organize and support the team. This is why they didn't change it, and I don't think they can change it manually because its an international company with a recruitment system that has specific titles for several countries and branches.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I got a gig where they went through my CV for last 5 years and compared what I said with what client said. I was then asked to explain the differences.

Don't worry about the interview. And if you get asked, just be honest.

Good luck!
          Thank you. I will do that. If they ask me I will just tell them what i'm doing and post my manager's email & phone number for confirmation & recommendation.

Comment

Working...
          X