• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

KPMG - Enforced Leave (2017-18 edition)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    My current clientco has issued a furlough for the entire December.

Perks of contracting, cant wait for it.
    They just don't want you at the Christmas party.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      He's so fat and lazy, can you blame them
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

From years of working in an equivalent to KPMG I can say with some knowledge that the entire business model of these companies is helped by encouraging staff to work non-stop through out the year and then have loads of time in the holiday bank over Christmas - clients say no-one on site so company encourages you to take the time or lose it...

To make sure people don't carry it forward (as usually you can argue some reasons why you couldn't use it all) they save up piles of really awful stuff for the poor saps in the office over the period, and chase you mercilessly over November to make sure you book the holiday

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          Manifests as a 20% rate cut over a 3 month contract. Not only that but I like to be the one deciding if/when I take breaks not the end client.
          Dont people ask during the interview, you know, that bit where they say 'do you have any questions?' whether there would be a Christmas shut down if so, how long?

Seeing as you are talking KPMG, Id have thought the big projects they are working on for TSB it would be something people should be aware of?

This really isnt something new in contracting, its been going on for the best part of 20 years albeit becoming more popular as a way to save money.

At the very least, lots of places close from around 20 December to end of first week in the New Year so, it can hardly be called a 30% rate cut if starting a week earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
            Dont people ask during the interview, you know, that bit where they say 'do you have any questions?' whether there would be a Christmas shut down if so, how long?
            I have.

I was so disappointed that one potential client didn't have a Xmas furlong I took another contract.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post

Seeing as you are talking KPMG, Id have thought the big projects they are working on for TSB it would be something people should be aware of?

This really isnt something new in contracting, its been going on for the best part of 20 years albeit becoming more popular as a way to save money.

At the very least, lots of places close from around 20 December to end of first week in the New Year so, it can hardly be called a 30% rate cut if starting a week earlier.
              +1

Back in my permie days, I've worked at a couple of places that closed down Christmas week. You'd work a full day Christmas Eve and reality is that your department director would walk the floor, shake your hand and wish you a Merry Christmas and you'd be over the road for a team pint at 2:30 (tradition dictated that you were to stay for one and obliged to do so - leaving at 3pm after a free pint from your boss beats finishing at 5pm anyway). You'd then be back in on the 2nd and have to book 3 days off out of the 30 (usually it was 28 but this place did the 30 because of the Christmas shutdown).

As you say, these days furloughs and Christmas shutdowns are used for cost-saving measures to boost end of year figures. I generally want Christmas week off so taking an extra week off that I have no say over saves me wondering about having extra time off. Four weeks at short notice extracts the urine somewhat though.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Attending my clientco’s Christmas part is £48.50 + VAT for contractors and temp staff.

I don’t think they want us there either.

Comment

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
                  Attending my clientco’s Christmas part is £48.50 + VAT for contractors and temp staff.

I don’t think they want us there either.
                  At least you are allowed to pay to go.

One previous client simply didn't invite contractors and temps at all.

Their permie staff complaint and half of them didn't turn up. They pointed out due to up to three quarters of their departments being contractors they didn't know other people. In the department I was working in we ended up having our own Christmas Party.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Cracks me up people complaining over forced leave over Christmas. It's one of the first things I do when taking on a gig, letting them know I'll be taking a break over Christmas. I'm finishing on the 14th where the rest of the company is mostly working through until Friday 22nd.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbantz View Post
                      Cracks me up people complaining over forced leave over Christmas. It's one of the first things I do when taking on a gig, letting them know I'll be taking a break over Christmas. I'm finishing on the 14th where the rest of the company is mostly working through until Friday 22nd.
                      If your contract finishes on 22nd Dec, then you'll probably be taking time off in January instead.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X