• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

restrictions clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    True, but unless you or the client definitively confirm your engagement with the client to the original agent, then the original agent has got nothing.

So, even the case, as suggested by another poster, that word gets back to the original agent from another contractor that spills the beans, the original agent has no proof. Only simple hearsay. You could easily explain this away as the other contractor having it in for you and telling porkies so as to drop you in it due to him holding some kind of grudge against you.

And, in the case where the client has ditched the original agent for whatever reason, the client is highly unlikely to either confirm your engagement with them or allow the original agent on site to physically check for themselves.

And then what?
    Indeed but all these are hypothetical situations that could have many different outcomes so could discuss endlessly. The point I made is just 'not telling them' is a risk. It appears we have different view on how real that risk is, and whatever our views it really depends on the exact situation so not really worth getting in to it.

My view on risk is partly based on my experience at my last 2 clients who had at least one agency presence on site, the one before that the agent was regularly in the building. Chances of 'not telling them' and getting away with it at these gigs? None. Maybe you've been in a raft of gigs you would never have been found out. Who knows.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Indeed but all these are hypothetical situations that could have many different outcomes so could discuss endlessly. The point I made is just 'not telling them' is a risk. It appears we have different view on how real that risk is, and whatever our views it really depends on the exact situation so not really worth getting in to it.

My view on risk is partly based on my experience at my last 2 clients who had at least one agency presence on site, the one before that the agent was regularly in the building. Chances of 'not telling them' and getting away with it at these gigs? None. Maybe you've been in a raft of gigs you would never have been found out. Who knows.
      Another easy way for a suspicious agent to do it:

Ring main switchboard - "hi, can I speak to Dave Pearson the contractor in the database team please; it's his agent and his mobile is off."
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Or send Dave an email with read - receipt
        We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Indeed. I totally agree it's a "risk". Just like crossing a road is a "risk", or riding on a train is a "risk". Or anything else in life is a "risk".

If you're looking at the difference between another 6 month gig and half a year on the bench, I'm sure most of us would be prepared to accept some amount of "risk".

Whilst there's many different ways that an agent could come to hear about a contractor being on site at a client via another agent or direct, there's also lots of ways to talk yourself out of it too, thereby significantly mitigating the risk - if the agent does indeed ever get to know in the first place.

Comment

Indeed. I totally agree it's a "risk". Just like crossing a road is a "risk", or riding on a train is a "risk". Or anything else in life is a "risk".

If you're looking at the difference between another 6 month gig and half a year on the bench, I'm sure most of us would be prepared to accept some amount of "risk".

Whilst there's many different ways that an agent could come to hear about a contractor being on site at a client via another agent or direct, there's also lots of ways to talk yourself out of it too, thereby significantly mitigating the risk - if the agent does indeed ever get to know in the first place.
            You and NLUK clearly aren't going to agree on this. I'd say that from an agent's point of view, if you were simply looking at dumping me and going direct at the end of the current, I'd pursue it. If you're been away for at least six months then come back, I wouldn't be as inclined.

That said, it also depends on the mark up - if the agent is charging 30% then they deserve to be stiffed over as soon as possible.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Another easy way for a suspicious agent to do it:

Ring main switchboard - "hi, can I speak to Dave Pearson the contractor in the database team please; it's his agent and his mobile is off."
              Easy to mitigate.

- "Hi, this is Sharon on main switchboard, I've got Mr Agent from DoNotWant Agency on the line".
              - "Ok, put him through".
              - "Hi, Dave, this is Mr Agent"
              - <putting on best alternative accent> "Hello, Mr Agent, I don't think I know you".
              - "Yes you do. You're being a naughty boy working for my client direct when you're bound by a handcuff clause not to do that."
              - "Sorry, Mr Agent. I have no idea what you're on about. Who was it you wanted to speak to again?".
              - "Dave Pearson"
              - "Oohh. Sorry, I'm Dave PETERSON. Must have got our wired crossed there hey? Oh well, these things happen. You're after Dave PEARSON? He hasn't worked here for the last 3 months".

Simples!

Moreover, what would make an agent suspicious enough to make that call in the first place if you've kept your mouth shut?
              Last edited by billybiro; 22 November 2017, 19:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Hertsseasider View Post
                Or send Dave an email with read - receipt
                Tsk, tsk. Call yourself an IT contractor and you don't know how to configure your email client to never send read receipts?

Comment

Tsk, tsk. Call yourself an IT contractor and you don't know how to configure your email client to never send read receipts?
                  You don't even need to configure it. Read receipts tend to be in the outbox so you can simply delete them before reading the email.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X