• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Himitsu View Post
    say for example I am required to work overseas for 2 weeks or more a hotel could reasonably cost £100 per night it could be a substantial bill by the end of my stay. how would you normally manage this. as a new ltd. company I wont have any capital for a few months to cover such costs.
    Firstly I'd be delighted that the client are paying expenses on top of the day rate, which is always a bonus.

Then (as others have said), I'd get a decent credit card and put the expenses on there.

Finally I'd be looking for short payment terms, especially at the start so that you can build those savings up as quickly as possible.

really my question is is this a normal arrangement? and how would people normally manage this level of expense? would it be reasonable for me to agree to it but also agree that I wouldnt be required to travel for x months to allow me to build some capital?
    I don't think it's reasonable to say that you can't travel for a while because of your financial limitations - it's not their concern. Deliver what you're meant to deliver and that'll help build the reserves when you get extended.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

duplicate post - see below
      Last edited by Himitsu; 13 October 2017, 10:31.

Comment

I thought i'd submitted a reply. i'll try again but sorry If its a duplicate.

thank you for the replies, I do appreciate it.

wrt visas etc. I am UK born and bred, the contract may require from time to time travel within the EU, USA and Japan.

I'll be setting up a cashplus account with a pre load credit card so I could use this or I could use a personal credit card. which would be the preferred method?

also interesting point bought up by northernladuk, I should submit the expense claim to my agent and not the end client correct? I'll be using free agent so I could raise an invoice upon my return and submit to them.
        Last edited by Himitsu; 13 October 2017, 10:31.

Comment

wrt visas etc. I am UK born and bred, the contract may require from time to time travel within the EU, USA and Japan.

I'll be setting up a cashplus account with a pre load credit card so I could use this or I could use a personal credit card. which would be the preferred method?

also interesting point bought up by northernladuk, I should submit the expense claim to my agent and not the end client correct? I'll be using free agent so I could raise an invoice upon my return and submit to them.
          When I've done this before I've just itemised the travel as a separate line on the invoice - FreeAgent allows you to tag expenses as "to be re-billed", either at cost or including markup.

Comment

But in real world client will expect you to use their employee travel claims process - not via the agent

Or might just be my last 7 contracts and I've been unlucky

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
              But in real world client will expect you to use their employee travel claims process - not via the agent

Or might just be my last 7 contracts and I've been unlucky
              Surely that depends on your client I have a very different and far more convoluted process than employees

Yes I do use the same travel booking system as employees but that’s for tracking purposes - not so important in Europe rather useful if elsewhere everything else is a different far more annoying process (in triplicate) while permies have a new one point entry tool
              Last edited by eek; 13 October 2017, 21:46.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've since received an additional document from the client which makes it much clearer.

Expenses to be authorised by the appropriate project manager, once authorised the claim is to be submitted to the agent which is to be paid as soon as practical.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I'm following that exact same policy at the moment and use a personal credit card for any expenses. My company than pays me the expenses to pay the credit card bill off and invoices the customer...

If your company nor yourself hasn't got any money to pay the credit card bill just swallow the cost of a month or 2 of interest until your expenses are paid...
                  So if you do this and submit an expenses claim from them do you put the expense amount plus vat on their expenses system or just on your invoice ?

Comment

I've since received an additional document from the client which makes it much clearer.

Expenses to be authorised by the appropriate project manager, once authorised the claim is to be submitted to the agent which is to be paid as soon as practical.
                    Just a quicky, make sure it's within clients own policy for amount per night etc

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                      So if you do this and submit an expenses claim from them do you put the expense amount plus vat on their expenses system or just on your invoice ?
                      Ask your accountant but in my case its expenses + VAT as most of my expenses are overseas taxi fares...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X