• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn requests from recruiters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    How much of your profile is public? It may be that they see a headline like "Project Manager - available now for contract work" and need to connect to see more of your skills. Then they find that it's not worth their time to do anything more with you.
    Good point, that explains it. Actually there isn't much on my profile, other than companies and job titles.

Comment

Originally posted by blossom View Post
      Do you accept them all? Do you get a lot?
      I have my contacts set to private and then accept all requests. Its a network. If you are looking for a job why restrict your market to a small pool of ex colleagues that would probably call you if they needed you anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        I have my contacts set to private and then accept all requests. Its a network. If you are looking for a job why restrict your market to a small pool of ex colleagues that would probably call you if they needed you anyway?
        Because it's a tool to network with respected and trusted members of your industry. Your's is just a junk list of any old body. That's hardly a network.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blossom View Post
          Good point, that explains it. Actually there isn't much on my profile, other than companies and job titles.
          I would expand it a lot (I found my current role on Linked In), but keep your connections private.

Provide details about what you do, what your skills are etc, and may be include specific project details as well as the clients that you've worked with. More and more agents and clients are looking at LinkedIn to see what you've done so make the most of the resources available to you, particularly the free ones!
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Because it's a tool to network with respected and trusted members of your industry.
            Not everyone sees it that way. I recently read somewhere about people who always connect to agents when they are looking for work - let me see if I can find the link...

When I'm on the bench yes
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Not everyone sees it that way. I recently read somewhere about people who always connect to agents when they are looking for work - let me see if I can find the link...

Isn't it about time for your yearly forum sabbatical or summat?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I get quite a few, but I'm a bit selective on who I accept as a connection. If they don't look like they will ever be a useful connection (eg the bloke this morning who is actively looking for new Microsoft people in Bangalore) then I don't connect. If they might be handy either now or in the future then I'll connect to them.

Same as anyone really
                You declined my invite to connect....
                HTH

Comment

I get a few a week and at least 1 or 2 with a message saying they have a role. I just accept them if it looks relevant, but don't reply to the message. I get more when actively looking and I've posted my CV on the boards.

I only tend to reject ones who really don't look suitable. Indian agencies and non-IT profiles. I'm not really bothered about how many I connect to, so I'd rather accept a pointless contact than decline a potentially good one.

I only use it when looking for gigs. I'll update my profile to say I'm available from whatever date when my contract is coming to an end. I'll scan my feed for anything interesting and post every now and again asking if anyone knows of roles etc. It's got me a decent number of leads, but don't think I've got a gig through linked in yet.

Comment

Because it's a tool to network with respected and trusted members of your industry. Your's is just a junk list of any old body. That's hardly a network.
                    I don't know about you but I work in the IT industry and I wouldn't trust more than 10 people that I have met in 20 years... The rest of us are total charlatans.

But jokes aside I have such a broad variety of contacts from odd places it even bothers me sometimes. But as of Friday last week I hit the bench. Monday a lady that is probably a tenuous third posted a message looking for contacts. I replied and had a chat. As a result three of my mates have interviews lined up for next week and as they will be picking the architecture teams. I know that because I'm not choosy about who I talk to and dont mind helping mates, I have three chances of a new role in the offing without even bothering to interview.

It also turns out she works in a field that I am interested in pursuing as a plan B and so I now have a full set of her contacts to work with and a serious set of finders fees in the offing.

I love junk...

Comment

Isn't it about time for your yearly forum sabbatical or summat?
                      End of next week
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X